Z88

A place to discuss the ZX80's and ZX81's younger brother - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
rune

Z88

Post by rune »

Hi guys

please excuse me if this shouldnt be posted here. It is a question about the Cambridge Computer Z88...

Does anyone know if it has a video output of any kind, or is the display limited to the LCD above the keyboard?

Dave
bobs

Re: Z88

Post by bobs »

Not that I'm aware of. I've just had a quick look at mine, and the only port is the serial connector.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

For the Z88, there is always the Z88 forums (although they are not widely used) - http://www.z88world.com

There is no easy way of connecting an external display unfortunately (well not that I know of)

There is also a program which can run under Windows to allow Windows to act as an external console for the Z88 - see
http://www.algonet.se/~dennisgr/z88-xcon.htm

I admit, I have never tried this!
rune

Post by rune »

Thanks for the replies. I was considering getting a z88 but probably wont bother now. I'll check out those links first though.

Dave
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The whole point is that the Z88 is portable and light, so no provision for an external screen. And to be fair, the programmers have made maximum use of the LCD screen :D. It works very well (IMHO).

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
stefano

Post by stefano »

Uh well, in those days a serial connection was a common way to extend the computer's capabilities, either by controlling an external CP/M box via a terminal emulation program or by attaching an external terminal to gain 80 colums or even graphics. I don't know the z88 inners well enough but I bet there is a powerful way to redirect an applications' I/O over the serial port.
RetroTechie

Post by RetroTechie »

stefano wrote:Uh well, in those days a serial connection was a common way to extend the computer's capabilities (..)
Not to mention hooking it up to a modem, and up- / download stuff. Modems connected using a serial port was the way modems were used back then (at least until early '90s, IIRC). And of course there's many other things around that can be used /controlled over a serial port.