Lambda 8300/Power 3000 info and magazine listings

Crayon21

Lambda 8300/Power 3000 info and magazine listings

Post by Crayon21 »

does anyone have any info on whether BASIC listings were made for this machine BITD. If so, what magazines did so? I can't find any info outside of Wikipedia and even that is sparse as all hell

could use some help here
In Heck, there are two options for perpetual torment:

Eat the Puckerberry and suffer for eternity:
drink nothing but a cocktail of The Last Dab and Mexican Cake blended and served with
habanero slices
:twisted:
mrtinb

Re: Lambda 8300/Power 3000 info and magazine listings

Post by mrtinb »

I havn't stumbled upon many articles with programs for the Lambda 8300. Most articles about the Lambda 8300, is reviews, where it is compared to the ZX81.

Below is a short article with a program for the Lambda 8300 or ZX81.

The article is in Danish from the magazine Populær Elektronik year 17 (1984) issue 5.

Here's the translation:
Catch an "X" with your Lambda 8300 or ZX81

This game is written for a Lambda 8300 or the like, and it needs a minimum of 16 kB RAM.

The program can also be used for the ZX81, but the lines including one of these words: MUSIC, SOUND, and TEMPO must be deleted, and the character in line 370 must be changed.

The game is about catching the character "X" into a box, and after that shoot it.

The box is moved around with these keys: "C" (up), "V" (down), "B" (left), "H" (right) and "U" is used for fire.

If you have a joystick, the program is easy to modify.
Translation of some of the lines:

Code: Select all

0 REM HUNT
:
50 PRINT "YOU CAN CHOOSE BETWEEN 6"
60 PRINT "DIFFICULTY LEVELS, WHERE 1 IS THE"
70 PRINT "EASIEST, AND 6 IS THE MOST DIFFICULT"
:
90 PRINT "INPUT YOUR CHOISE (1-6)"
:
550 PRINT AT 0,0; "NUMBER OF BULLS EYE"; P
560 PRINT AT 2,0; "NUMBER OF FIRED SHOTS"; S
:
610 PRINT AT 0,0; "DU HIT"; P; "TIMES,"
620 PRINT AT 2,0; "AND USED"; S; "SHOTS"
620 PRINT AT 4,0; "IN AVERAGE"; S/P; "SHOTS"
640 PRINT AT 8,0; "DO YOU WANT TO TRY AGAIN J/N"
Catch an "X" with your Lambda 8300 or ZX81

My comments to this article:

I think the original program had one of the special gaming characters of the Lambda 8300 in place of the "X". Then it makes sense to mention in the article, that you have to change the "X" for use with the ZX81. Somehow the editor of the article changed the special gaming character of the program before publishing the article, to make it more ZX81 friendly. However this change just makes the article more confusing.

Also the 5 keys used to move the box, is the keys that are mapped to the joystick port on the Lambda 8300. So the line: "If you have a joystick, the program is easy to modify", should instead be: "If you don't have a joystick, the program is easy to modify".

If you want to try more with this machine, you can use any ZX81 program, that has no machine code, PEEKs or POKEs.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube