MaxDuino settings?

mrtinb

Re: MaxDuino settings?

Post by mrtinb »

And Jesper, where do you live? Maybe we could meet to test with working hardware.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
jesperp

Post by jesperp »

mrtinb wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:29 pm And Jesper, where do you live? Maybe we could meet to test with working hardware.
That would be fine - to identify non working components.
If geographic distance is acceptable of course. I live near Roskilde.
Best regards
Jesper Petersen
jesperp

Post by jesperp »

mrtinb wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:27 pm Maybe we should find out if the signal reaches the CPU.

How about 2 oscilloscope pins connected to D7 (tape in data) and /IORQ (I/O access).

Then we can see tape data when /IORQ is low. I don't know how many port reads/writes happens during tape read, but tape data read would be the most frequent.

Any suggestions elsewhere?
It is a step further into the details, but sounds like a good idea. Will try it out...
Best regards
Jesper Petersen
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

jesperp wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:02 pm That would be fine - to identify non working components.
If geographic distance is acceptable of course. I live near Roskilde.
I live near Christiansfeld, so that is across the pond. So it would have been easier if you lived in Jutland. :(
Martin
jesperp

Post by jesperp »

mrtinb wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:27 pm Maybe we should find out if the signal reaches the CPU.

How about 2 oscilloscope pins connected to D7 (tape in data) and /IORQ (I/O access).

Then we can see tape data when /IORQ is low. I don't know how many port reads/writes happens during tape read, but tape data read would be the most frequent.

Any suggestions elsewhere?
Hi Martin

Ref to the attached pdf:
Completed your suggested measurements - it seemes that LOAD"" and signal into the EAR input have an effect to the CPU IOREQ pin. But it is harder to figure out if CPU pin 13 (D7) have a acceptable signal and is relative to the EAR input.
By the way - where do you see that CPU D7 should be TAPE IN DATA?

PS Driving to the southern part of Jutland from Sealand would be economical suicide with present fuel prices.....;o)
PPS A fine little LM358 OpAmp mono music amplifier is ordered. (ref to: MOGGYS post in this tread from: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:34 am )

Have a nice weekend!
Attachments
20220916 YourComputer Scope CPU PIN 13 and 20.pdf
(415.65 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
Best regards
Jesper Petersen
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

jesperp wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:31 pm
PS Driving to the southern part of Jutland from Sealand would be economical suicide with present fuel prices.....;o)
PPS A fine little LM358 OpAmp mono music amplifier is ordered. (ref to: MOGGYS post in this tread from: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:34 am )

Have a nice weekend!
If I read your post correctly you have ordered the same low signal pre-amp you already have.

You need an LM386 POWER AMP as mentioned in my post to provide the drive needed on the EAR input of our type of computers not a line level pre-amp such as the LM358 which is only good for powering the INPUT of a power amp.
Also the LM358 is a dual op-amp (a noisy one too) and unless the second amp output is properly terminated, instability and excess noise can appear on the output of the section of the chip you are using,which as stated is incorrect for this purpose anyway.
jesperp

Post by jesperp »

Moggy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:29 pm
jesperp wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:31 pm

Have a nice weekend!
If I read your post correctly you have ordered the same low signal pre-amp you already have.

You need an LM386 POWER AMP as mentioned in my post to provide the drive needed on the EAR input of our type of computers not a line level pre-amp such as the LM358 which is only good for powering the INPUT of a power amp.
Also the LM358 is a dual op-amp (a noisy one too) and unless the second amp output is properly terminated, instability and excess noise can appear on the output of the section of the chip you are using,which as stated is incorrect for this purpose anyway.
Hi Moggy

Thx for your quick reply.
I replied wrongly (too quickly) regarding the ordered OpAmp - this is the one i ordered:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... 1802AKkVAK
Best regards
Jesper Petersen
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

That looks most excellent! :D

One thing for sure is that if this does not cure the problem then it can be eliminated and the fault lies elsewhere.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

jesperp wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:31 pm Ref to the attached pdf:
Completed your suggested measurements - it seemes that LOAD"" and signal into the EAR input have an effect to the CPU IOREQ pin. But it is harder to figure out if CPU pin 13 (D7) have a acceptable signal and is relative to the EAR input.
By the way - where do you see that CPU D7 should be TAPE IN DATA?
http://www.problemkaputt.de/zxdocs.htm#zx80zx81ioports
Martin
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Keep in mind when using an oscilloscope to monitor D7 and /IORQ, we are ONLY interested in the state of D7 when /IORQ is LOW.

Ideally it would be better if you could put together a simple circuit using a 74LS32 quad 2-input OR gates. Then the Z80 /RD and address line A0 could be included.

The inputs would be A0, /RD, and /IORQ (you need to use two gates, with the output of the first feeding the input of the second). Then the output goes to the ‘scope. The output will then only be logic low when the Z80 reads from an I/O port where A0 is low, such as address 0xFE (ignoring the high byte).

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.