tzxduino firmware

Alleged_Geek

Re: tzxduino firmware

Post by Alleged_Geek »

Hi jojo,

the buttons on my 1.18 version work as expected, the only time I have to press double is when pressing the play button as it pauses the load function when pressing play the first time, simply pressing play again will load the software. I have now tested it on my zx spectrum +2 and my oric 1 and it works beautifully.

Does your TZX Duino work better using the 1.17 or below firmware? I believe that the latest 'official' firmware (taken from the arduitape blog) is version 1.17 and should load most software types.

you can find that version at

http://arduitape.blogspot.com/2020/09/t ... dated.html

Also, did you use the 1.18 version I suggested earlier?

I have uploaded the modified TZXDuino arduino files for the 1.18 version to my Github

https://github.com/Alleged-Geek/TZX-Duino

Could you download and extract the TZXDuino.rar file and see how that goes?

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Steve
Alleged_Geek

Post by Alleged_Geek »

Hello again,

I forgot to mention that my display also shows Ver 1.20.
jojo

Post by jojo »

Okay , so it looks the firmware is the same now .

I noticed the up down canbe a bit erratic sometimes , but need to go back to 1.17 to verify that.

Thanks again to every one who supported me here !!

Jojo
Zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo-Velleman interface system-Currah microspeech -Ql - 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst floppy interf.- Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Qimi-and much more .
sP1d3r

Post by sP1d3r »

I've got a couple of pictures of my TZXDuino, I bought it before the pandemic and it's since been superceded by TZXDuino v1.5.
Obviously eBay sellers have come to the attention of the designers of the hardware since this appeared on eBay because the newest PCB has silkscreen to the effect that TZXDuino isn't for sale on eBay.

I've since fixed the problem which was very sloppy and untidy soldering and incorrect components.

I'm pleased with it now, it's running Maxduino v1.76.
The only problem with this is that the manual is in Portuguese.
3D printed case
3D printed case

Arduino Pro Mini, OLED 1" with amplifier
Arduino Pro Mini, OLED 1" with amplifier
sP1d3r

Post by sP1d3r »

Here's another couple of pictures, one is the tidied and resoldered underside of the PCB and also a strange setting, it might be some kind of turbo loader or something for certain types of file, including UEF (Electron).

The baud rate is settable independently, 1200/2400/3600/3850.
Tidied PCB with correct components
Tidied PCB with correct components
Menu setting?
Menu setting?
rcmolina

Post by rcmolina »

@sP1d3r, not so strange.. Just multiple functions in the same option:

TSXControl: to force speed baud rate on/off with tzx id 4b blocks to change default speed. Also for Amstrad id11 blocks.

Zxpolarity: for some zx spectrum games than cant load, not affectting in the general case. One well known: Basil the great mouse detective, depending on this switch loads or does not.

UEFswitch: To switch parity for some Acorn BBC protected games. When I investigate that, the tool version used to preserve the uef file set incorrect parity odd/even. I could cheat on that cause these are only few games, but I think is more elegant to change this manually.

Hope this help finally wth this sorcery option.

As always I recommend updating with last firmware features: more subdirs, oric block automatic pausing config, zx81 parity problems solved, zx ay explicit filename showing when loading, ancient bug in buffer, more platforms, speed adjustments, and much more space to get all options running in the same limited space.

Remember to use recommended libraries, sdfat 1.1 and SoftI2Cmaster:
https://github.com/rcmolina/MaxDuino_BE ... /libraries

Download last rolling version of maxduino here:
https://github.com/rcmolina/MaxDuino

Some videos for new features also here: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC0L03I8m ... --g/videos

Also notice that maxduino can play non native formats with many other machines like Apple I or Apple IIe for instance when converting from wav to generic tzx format (look my other repos on github)

.. for sinclairzxworld guys remember the excellent feature for REW/FF on the fly for our beloved machines.

Rafa

Ps. Hope you enjoy as much as me :)
sP1d3r wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:24 pm Here's another couple of pictures, one is the tidied and resoldered underside of the PCB and also a strange setting, it might be some kind of turbo loader or something for certain types of file, including UEF (Electron).

The baud rate is settable independently, 1200/2400/3600/3850.

WP_20220616_13_02_40_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20220616_13_05_15_Pro (2).jpg
sP1d3r

Post by sP1d3r »

Hi Rafa

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't expect you to be a forum member.
Thanks for all the info, I was really pumped to get my TZXDuino v1.4 working and not surprised about the v1.5 PCB legend, I'd have returned mine to the eBay seller after I'd bought it if I hadn't been (like recently) maxed out on my available time and just unable to deal with it.
rcmolina wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:19 pm @sP1d3r, not so strange.. Just multiple functions in the same option:

TSXControl: to force speed baud rate on/off with tzx id 4b blocks to change default speed. Also for Amstrad id11 blocks.

Zxpolarity: for some zx spectrum games than cant load, not affectting in the general case. One well known: Basil the great mouse detective, depending on this switch loads or does not.

UEFswitch: To switch parity for some Acorn BBC protected games. When I investigate that, the tool version used to preserve the uef file set incorrect parity odd/even. I could cheat on that cause these are only few games, but I think is more elegant to change this manually.

Hope this help finally wth this sorcery option.
Thanks, I didn't realise that it's a multi-option 'switch'.
rcmolina wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:19 pm As always I recommend updating with last firmware features: more subdirs, oric block automatic pausing config, zx81 parity problems solved, zx ay explicit filename showing when loading, ancient bug in buffer, more platforms, speed adjustments, and much more space to get all options running in the same limited space.

Remember to use recommended libraries, sdfat 1.1 and SoftI2Cmaster:
https://github.com/rcmolina/MaxDuino_BE ... /libraries

Download last rolling version of maxduino here:
https://github.com/rcmolina/MaxDuino

Some videos for new features also here: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC0L03I8m ... --g/videos

Also notice that maxduino can play non native formats with many other machines like Apple I or Apple IIe for instance when converting from wav to generic tzx format (look my other repos on github)

.. for sinclairzxworld guys remember the excellent feature for REW/FF on the fly for our beloved machines.

Rafa

Ps. Hope you enjoy as much as me :)
I seem to recall when I downloaded the libraries from your Github that I used a patched SDFat library, although I'm not sure what exactly was patched.
There were a couple of patched libraries if I remember correctly, but nevertheless the TZXDuino was loading and working correctly with my Spectrum 48K, I'm chuffed to say.

I want to try the Maxduino firmware with my ZX81s, when I can get them working which'll hopefully be soon.

Thanks for the assist, much appreciated & take care.
rcmolina

Post by rcmolina »

@sP1d3r, not easy days .. on vacation, it's ok for all of us.
.. yes the patched libraries. There is some documentacion in the source code about this: check hwconfig.h, look:

//
// PATCH PROCERURE NEEDED FOR NANO EVERY AND THINARY TO SWAP TIMERS AND AVOID HANGING
//
// In C:\Users\Rafael\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.8.4
// change .\variants\nona4809\timers.h , .\variants\nona4809\variant.c , .\cores\arduino\wiring.c
//
// In C:\Users\Rafael\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\thinary\hardware\avr\1.0.0
// change .\variants\nona4808\timers.h , .\variants\nona4808\variant.c , .\cores\arduino\wiring.c
//
// Needs 2 patches, check your version:
//
// SDFat 20150201 (old and very slow):
// 1. In SdFatConfig.h change line 84 #define SD_SPI_CONFIGURATION 0
// with: #define SD_SPI_CONFIGURATION 1
// 2. In SdSpi.h change line 292 #ifdef __AVR__
// with: #if defined(__AVR__) && not defined(__AVR_ATmega4809__)&& not defined(__AVR_ATmega4808__)
//
// SDFat 1.1.0 (faster and recommended):
// 1. In SdFatConfig.h change line 216 #elif defined(__AVR__)\
// with: #elif defined(__AVR__) && not defined(__AVR_ATmega4809__)&& not defined(__AVR_ATmega4808__)\
//
// 2. In SpiDriver/SdSpiDriver.h change line 374 #ifdef __AVR__
// with: #if defined(__AVR__) && not defined(__AVR_ATmega4809__)&& not defined(__AVR_ATmega4808__)

This is intended for arduino nano every and its clone Thinary. You do not need to use them if you do not own this hardware, but there is no harm to use them. This patch only avoid low level arduino optimized machine code and use a less high level optimized access (and deals with timers change with Nano every hw). So in a few words: for the above mentioned hardware the library is usable and maxduino compiles, not affecting at all with old arduino hardware. Hope this helps.

Rafa
Ps. Email me if you have any trouble compiling with IDE, you only need SdFat 1.1 and SoftI2CMaster libs. I can submit you an hex file for your hw helping quickly programming without the IDE using Xloader tool
sP1d3r

Post by sP1d3r »

Hello again Rafael, thanks again for the info, I see now that the patches don't apply to my TZXDuino because it uses an Arduino Pro Mini.
rcmolina wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:45 am Email me if you have any trouble compiling with IDE, you only need SdFat 1.1 and SoftI2CMaster libs. I can submit you an hex file for your hw helping quickly programming without the IDE using Xloader tool
Much appreciated, however I was able to compile and upload the MaxDuino firmware using the Arduino IDE and an FTDI USB to TTL adapter (5V, GND, RX & TX, obviously the 5V is for a 5V Pro Mini), the Arduino Pro Mini must be held in reset from before the compile and upload is initiated until the dialogue gives the details about the sketch after compilation just before uploading commences.

This was simple and it worked first time, the OLED screen appears to be the default option.
jojo

Post by jojo »

my try to get a .hex file for version 1.18

tzxduino 118.rar
(45.73 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
so if there is someone out there who can give it a go at comparing it , it is oled 1306 version

=>>> if version 1.19 is available , i would like to get it .
Zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo-Velleman interface system-Currah microspeech -Ql - 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst floppy interf.- Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Qimi-and much more .