ZX Spectrum Next started on kickstarter

PokeMon

ZX Spectrum Next started on kickstarter

Post by PokeMon »

Just to put it here in the forum, probably all Spectrum experts here do now already. 8-)

The kickstarter presentation of the Spectrum Next is online from today and reached more than 50% of needed funds in less than one day. ;)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... escription
z3dm4d

Re: ZX Spectrum Next started on kickstarter

Post by z3dm4d »

A pretty neat design. I was a little disappointed in the choice of the PI-Zero. But it is a very popular device and should prove to be a nice acceleration board. I may end up getting one, but my personal bias my make the whole thing frustrating to me. I'm sure it would be my loss.

I'd rather see people do amazing things, without accelerator board like concepts. I'm not a fan of FPGA and CPLD either. But they make sense when used to replace logic chips. For me, the great thing about these machines, is the closeness they provide to understanding the circuits you are working with. It does tend to be a pit pricey, in some respects.

But this "Spectrum Next" is a pretty awesome event, for long time ZX users. I have examined its specs several times and dreamed up possible messes I could get myself into.

I doubt it would happen, but I'd love to see young developers flock to it as a release from hacking in a world of library bloat. Probably not gonna happen though. I think it would be neat to have something like f2c for F to SDCC. Or a direct port of F. Along with basic, F seems like a nice language to get people started with. And long live Z80 ASM.

I wish the Spectrum Next success beyond my imagination.