zx spectrum in zx81 case

gammaray

Re: zx spectrum in zx81 case

Post by gammaray »

Wait a minute now we have to have made and adhesive overlay or dedicated membrane '81 style keyboard for Speccy in the Box...(ZXMax48)

When will we stop innovating? And when will we accept what they give us? :twisted:

Bah humbug! Progress...phooey!
Last edited by gammaray on Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
Paul

Post by Paul »

gammaray wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:48 pm Wait a minute now we have to have made and adhesive overlay or dedicated membrane '81 style keyboard for Speccy in the Box...(ZXMax48)

When will we stop innovating? And when will we accept what they give us?
There is Pokémon ZX81 KDLX. We only need a print for Spectrum.
I really hope we never stop innovation.
When I travel to Mars I want a ZX81 Mars edition to take with me.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

gammaray wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:48 pm Wait a minute now we have to have made and adhesive overlay or dedicated membrane '81 style keyboard for Speccy in the Box...(ZXMax48)
I hope Pokémon or RWAP Software or Tynemouth Software could be very kind to us and make newer version of their membranes. I would definitely buy two of them. Or someone could design and make a rubber overlay with Speccy keys.

BTW I am now waiting for ZX Max 48 Issue 2 PCB with AY chip on it. It is going to be a nearly perfect ZX Spectrum.
Claudius
----------
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

Wait. I could come full circle and combine the ZXmax48 with a modified FRANKENZED OR TAZMANIAC I am working on and put in a Spectrum case using the reproduction rubber keyboard and case assembly.

Ok maybe leave it alone and just put a adhesive layer on top of 81 case with KDLX or membrane...
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

On the same note, Superfo also designed a small add-on board with a joystick interface and IF2 compatible cartridge slot. As soon as I am back home I will publish some photos of the full set (Issue 1 PCB, the interface and IF2 cartridge) in matching colours. ;)
Claudius
----------
rune

Post by rune »

Has anyone built this board yet? I half way through and waiting for the remained or the components to arrive.

McKloud mentioned some problems with the keyboard/diodes and a possible problem with the speaker damaging the transistor. Any other issues encountered?

I have an Altera Max programmer, what software is best/needed to program the CPLD?

Dave
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

rune wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:41 pm Has anyone built this board yet? I half way through and waiting for the remained or the components to arrive.

McKloud mentioned some problems with the keyboard/diodes and a possible problem with the speaker damaging the transistor. Any other issues encountered?

I have an Altera Max programmer, what software is best/needed to program the CPLD?

Dave
Is someone willing to program the CPLD for those who can't? Yoda says may the force be with you.
rune

Post by rune »

If I can program mine, Id be happy to do others.

I've downloaded a program for developing the CPLDs, no idea if it is the correct one or not. Suppose I'll know when I get the board finished.
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

Hi Guys,

To program Altera Max7000 (EPM7128S) you need software called Altera Quartus II in version 13.0sp1. Any newer Quartus does not support these chips. Anyway, it would be also good if you use Windows 7, because this version does not work very well under Win10 (especially 64-bits one). You can use any cheap Altera USB Blaster available for $2.00, they work fine.

My fully working board below:

Regarding the board itself, there are few recommended modifications. You can see them on photos below:

Additional 33R resistor between the speaker and Q2:

Additional 1k0 resistor in the EAR input circularity (between the EAR input and Q2):

Diodes crossed for the ZX81 keyboard membrane. The other diode is installed on the other side of the PCB:

1A diode and solid link instead of J9 to protect the DC converter from a wrong power supply polarity:
Claudius
----------
rune

Post by rune »

Thanks McKloud,

I guess I have a few mods to do tomorrow. Brilliant photos and explanations, hopefully I wont be too far behind getting mine working.