Issue 3B board - what the heck is that?!

hatman72

Issue 3B board - what the heck is that?!

Post by hatman72 »

Just bought a Speccy off EBay. As far as I can tell it has not been opened before. The board is an issue 3B but it has a strange looking modification near the speaker which you can see in the photo. Doing a quick google shows that this is not standard on 3B boards. Does anyone know what it is or what it’s for?
5CFE911B-80E2-4EE8-8D25-987173DA49B3.jpeg
1024MAK

Re: Issue 3B board - what the heck is that?!

Post by 1024MAK »

That is the last official Sinclair modification to the power section. Details here on my blog ;-)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
hatman72

Post by hatman72 »

Thanks Mark, in your opinion was this done by the factory or by the owner? I am slightly concerned by the lack of solder in connection the top-right. I haven’t powered it up yet as I will need to perform a composite mod first.

Richard
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Is the connection you are concerned about soldered on the underside? If yes, it’s nothing to worry about, as the holes are plated-through connections, so the tracks on the top and bottom are electrically connected together.

It may have been done in the factory (most likely), or when the board was serviced or repaired by a professional.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
hatman72

Post by hatman72 »

Yes, it seems to be soldered fine on the bottom. So I guess it's a good thing that it is has this mod even if it's a bit unsightly.

I did a quick test by holding the composite connector up against the wire that feeds the RF modulator and the case, and unfortunately I can see that I'm not getting the Sinclair Research text, so I suspect it has a lower RAM fault. I'll check that when I have some time.
hatman72

Post by hatman72 »

Update on this Speccy - there was indeed a lower RAM fault - I replaced IC7 and everything is looking good so far :D
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

👍 :D

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!