ZX Spectrum Issue 4A: What does this mod do?

Netaro

ZX Spectrum Issue 4A: What does this mod do?

Post by Netaro »

Hello!

I've recently acquired ZX Spectrum, 16k version with issue 4A motherboard.
After opening the case, I've noticed that the speaker was missing, and instead this mod was inserted:
IMG20211201204500.jpg
Does this mod do anything at all? If somebody wanted to simply remove the speaker, wouldn't removing it be enough?
hatman72

Re: ZX Spectrum Issue 4A: What does this mod do?

Post by hatman72 »

I believe that is an official Sinclair modification to the power section that was applied to the issue 3B as well. I don’t think it has anything to do with the speaker - that may have just been removed.
1024MAK

Re: ZX Spectrum Issue 4A: What does this mod do?

Post by 1024MAK »

Netaro wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:55 pm After opening the case, I've noticed that the speaker was missing, and instead this mod was inserted
That’s the official Sinclair power supply modification. Carried out either when the board was made, when it was returned for service or repair, or when a independent service/repair technician worked on the board. See by blog page for details of the last version of the modification.

The modification has nothing to do with the loud speaker. We can only speculate as to why it’s been removed.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.