spectrum 128 with only 12 volt

jojo

Re: spectrum 128 with only 12 volt

Post by jojo »

Mark ,

The display is the same as i used yesterday to get the ill speccy tested.

Scope is on my right .
m_IMG_3049.jpg
Zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo-Velleman interface system-Currah microspeech -Ql - 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst floppy interf.- Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Qimi-and much more .
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Sorry, maybe I was not clear.

How are you connecting the video output of the 128K, are you using composite video and ground (pins 1 and 2 on the 128K’s DIN socket). Or are you using the three video channels (R, G, B), bright, and combined sync. (pins 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8 on the 128K’s DIN socket)?

Or have you done something different?

And where does this go, directly to a “normal” TV or to an adapter or converter?

In the photo you posted, it looks like you are using a video capture device and displaying the result in a window on a PC.

I’m just trying to get an understanding of your current set up. Then I hope to be able to help you further.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
jojo

Post by jojo »

Mark ,

composite video 2 wire to an usb converter , or composite video 2 wire to an hdmi converter .

my own 128 does work fine that way.

with the defective one i can only see "something" happening if i use the usb converter .
this "something" changes when i switch the 128 on or off.

the hdmi converter does not detect any video signal with the defective 128

btw , does both the cap or transistor video-mod not work on a 128 ??
Zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo-Velleman interface system-Currah microspeech -Ql - 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst floppy interf.- Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Qimi-and much more .
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Okay, now I understand.
jojo wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:07 pm btw , does both the cap or transistor video-mod not work on a 128 ??
It isn’t needed, and because of the different internal circuitry, it’s not recommended.

With your ‘scope, can you test on the TEA2000 pin 6. This should be a composite video signal, but at different (higher) voltage levels compared to a standard composite video signal.

Try to use the trigger control on your ‘scope to lock to a positive to negative edge, so that it uses the line or field sync. Unless you use a more complex trigger control, the ‘scope image will keep changing. So if you have a “one shot” mode, use that.

If your ‘scope has two channels, you could trigger off of pin 16 of the same chip.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
jojo

Post by jojo »

Mark ,

After a good look into the analogue and the use of the scope ( which could not find ANY signal !! ) i noticed this ;
m_IMG_3055.jpg

an rgb modification , which renders the cvbs output fully useless.
replacing the correct resistor gives this ;
m_IMG_3056.jpg
tomorrow i will fit the yellow-mod , and do some more testing with the test-card .

THANK YOU and all others !!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Ahh, you mean this RGB modification (really a SCART signalling modification).

Yeah, I’m not keen on that type of modification. And if owners do want to do that kind of thing, they really should attach a label on the bottom of the case saying what they have done.

Anyway, glad that you have found the “problem” :lol:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
jojo

Post by jojo »

the problem is that these units are not even second hand , but maybe 10th hand , so no-one really knows what has been done to them .

This one came in with a distinct burning smell ( as did the ill speccy from yesterday ) ,

so start searching ...................

Thanks for your help and advise !!

jojo

- now step over to a speccy which burns the same memory chip every time i try ..................
jojo

Post by jojo »

so , last pieces of the puzzle completed ,

with un-rainer mod ;
m_17-7-2022 20-53-39 - kopie.jpg
And the yellow-mod fitted ;
m_17-7-2022 21-04-03 - kopie.jpg
and tried some games too ;
m_17-7-2022 21-37-26 - kopie.jpg
memory test ran for 4 hours without problems , so another saved 128 .

jojo
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

:D :D :D

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!