Reset button for ordinary ZX Spectrum

Pygmalion

Reset button for ordinary ZX Spectrum

Post by Pygmalion »

Since my old ZX Spectrum was no longer in its original case, I bought a new original one. What I still miss about the original case is that it does not have the reset button that the old case had.

What is your advice? One option would be to get a cable with a switch. The other is to make a small hole in the back of the case and glue in a small push button.

What experience have you had with this issue and what advice would you give me?
1024MAK

Re: Reset button for ordinary ZX Spectrum

Post by 1024MAK »

Do you use any expansions? I fitted a reset switch to an expansion.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Pygmalion

Post by Pygmalion »

Actually, I do have a joystick, but I am not using it regularly. Of course I could make reset button expansion :lol:.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Or you could use a 'work around' of buying a 2.1mm power lead with a on/off switch.

If you search the internet (no, don't ask what search terms) there are rubber keys where reset buttons/switches have been added discreetly by their owners. I have seen one mounted on the side.

Are you retaining the TV modulator? If no, that's a useable space.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Pygmalion

Post by Pygmalion »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:21 am Or you could use a 'work around' of buying a 2.1mm power lead with a on/off switch.
Yes, that also occurred to me. After all, it's the least invasive solution.

I have already ordered two from AE. The problem is that they will probably cut the earth wire instead of the power wire. I am curious if that can be a problem.
1024MAK wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:21 am If you search the internet (no, don't ask what search terms) there are rubber keys where reset buttons/switches have been added discreetly by their owners. I have seen one mounted on the side.
Yes, I assumed there must be others who have done this before, but I couldn't find anything on the internet.
1024MAK wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:21 am Are you retaining the TV modulator? If no, that's a useable space.
Well, I simply bypassed the TV modulator and use the modulator output as a video output. But there's enough space on the case anyway. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this and how exactly they did it.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Pygmalion wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:07 am
1024MAK wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:21 am Or you could use a 'work around' of buying a 2.1mm power lead with a on/off switch.
I have already ordered two from AE. The problem is that they will probably cut the earth wire instead of the power wire. I am curious if that can be a problem.
The type that go between the PSU output and the Spectrum, it does not matter which wire (polarity) is switched, as the Sinclair PSUs have isolated floating outputs (no connection to actual mains earth/ground). As long as you don't try to use a splitter lead before the switched lead.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Pygmalion

Post by Pygmalion »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:53 am The type that go between the PSU output and the Spectrum, it does not matter which wire (polarity) is switched, as the Sinclair PSUs have isolated floating outputs (no connection to actual mains earth/ground). As long as you don't try to use a splitter lead before the switched lead.
Thank you, that was really a valuable information. I will go for this solution as it leaves ZX Spectrum as close as possible to original.