Greetings from a 'long time' ZX81 user

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
Urbancamo

Greetings from a 'long time' ZX81 user

Post by Urbancamo »

image.jpeg
(310.7 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
Hi folks - OK so this photo of me is with a ZX Spectrum, but before that, and with the same analogue TV I had a ZX81 for a couple of years. My science teacher at Beechwood Hill School in Dunstable brought a ZX80 in when they first came out and my long love affair with computers started. My friend, Richard Spriggs' dad somehow could get discount on ZX81's and I got one, complete with Sinclar ZX81 RAM pack for Christmas. The LEGO took a back seat after that! The ZX81 was sold to add needed finance for the Spectrum and, fast forward to 2008 and I got one of the remaining 'new old stock' unbuilt ZX81 kits from the States for around £80. That ZX81 has sat under the bed for all these years and I finally decided, having bought a Spectrum+, that I should really get a ZX81 I could play with. The eBay seller had some health issues and with lots of patience I finally received a fully working ZX81 with 16K RAM pack. Being an issue 1 motherboard without the 'back porch video signal' I got a very hazy RF output on my 'dug out of the basement old non-HD kids TV' display. Just before a visit snowboarding to Bulgaria I ordered a ZX8-CCB composite video mod board and installed that this evening with great results.

I have entered the BASIC 10 liners programming competition http://gkanold.wix.com/homeputerium#!ba ... -2016/c450, albeit with a ZX Spectrum Basic entry. I also have watched a video on John Harris http://www.thethinkersgarden.com/2014/1 ... s45DPDfWrU
- the artist who produced such memorising covers on the Sinclair BASIC manuals - I highly recommend it.
RWAP

Re: Greetings from a 'long time' ZX81 user

Post by RWAP »

Welcome to the forums - it is great to see so many new (returning) ZX81 users still showing up on here
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Howdy! Welcome aboard!
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Welcome !
Great picture of yourself posted using a Sinclair long time ago. 8-)
RetroTechie

Post by RetroTechie »

Welcome to this forum, Urbancamo!

And indeed that photo is a classic - just lacks a tape recorder. :lol:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Welcome on board Urbancamo!

:D :D :D

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

:-) I recognise that TV, used to have several (Thorn 1590 chassis) only one left now, a 'survivor' of a house fire - front moulding melted all bubbly, knobs withered...but it still works!!!
zx81jens

Post by zx81jens »

Nice Tie :D

Welcome!!!!!

Jens (German ZX-TEAM)
eyerything will be okay in the end.
if it´s not okay, it´s not the end.

and: uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝ ɹǝʌǝu ןןıʍ ı
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Greetings from me too Urbancamo. :D

Rich is correct as all us zeddy reprobates end up here!

A shirt and tie whilst having speccy fun I salute you sir, makes me proud to be British. :lol: :D
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

It's the curtains I'm attracted to. I'd happily have those up at home. Funny how things go around, eh.