Welcome to the SINCLAIR ZX WORLD forums

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
msch
Site Admin

Welcome to the SINCLAIR ZX WORLD forums

Post by msch »

After many years Rich Mellor (RWAP) decided to retire from hosting and maintaining this well known forum. We are all very happy that he didn‘t switch them off but instead searched for someone new to take over the existing forum. Rich will continue to be active on the forum, and plans on maintaining his existing support for these beloved retro computers.

The forums are now owned by the german ZX-TEAM. The well known administration and moderation team stays and is only expanded by Mathias and Paul. All of us do the job in their spare time unsalaried. The usage of this forum will stay free in the future. All costs are covered by Mathias and Paul. No advertisments will be added. Suggestions and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Mathias is from 1968, self-employed in IT Business, collector of computers of the 80ies and 90ies with a focus on british home computers and Apple machines. He is member of the ZX-TEAM since 2013. His first computer was a 16k ZX Spectrum, soon upgraded to 48K and expanded with ZX Interface 1, ZX Interface 2, ZX Microdrive and dk‘tronics Keyboard. In the 90ies he changed to PC and about 10 Years ago to Mac. His interrest in Sinclair computer, specially ZX80 and ZX81, was reinitiated by his discovery of the ZX-TEAM in the beginning of 2013.

Paul is from 1963, Senior Software engineer in a japananese company and user of sinclair computers since 1980 when he fell in love with a ZX80. In 1982 he founded a ZX-User club and in 1983 Paul could finally afford a 16K spectrum which was his first sinclair computer. He bought a ZX80 when it was sold for 20 hfl in a shop in the netherlands and in 1985 he bought an Atari 520ST with mushroom TOS. In 1986 Paul got his first ZX81 which was sold for 5 DM in a shop in germany.
He never really stopped using the ZX80 and ZX81 and joined the ZX-TEAM and this RWAP Forum in 2010.
Mathias

ZX-Team member and classic computer collector
Andy Rea

Re: Welcome to the SINCLAIR ZX WORLD forums

Post by Andy Rea »

Nice introduction and may I congratulate and thank the ZX-TEAM for taking on the forum.

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

Here! Here! ... With an capitalized DITTO! (What he said.)
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Welcome home guys!
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

Thank you taking a care for this forum :)
Claudius
----------
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

I am pleased that the forums found a new home and (more importantly) willing hands to take over the administration.

It is hard to believe that when I set these up in May 2008, it was with the aim of re-invigorating the ZX80 and ZX81; which were hardly ever mentioned on forums across the world. Remember there were no keyboard membranes at that point, and the ZX81 in particular was much unloved as many were sat in cupboards put away as non-working because of a failed keyboard and issues connecting to modern TVs.

By the end of 2008, we only had 54 members on the forum; and it seemed that it was going to be a long uphill struggle.

Now look where we are (nearly 10 years later) - just over 1,000 forum members, lots of new software and hardware still being developed; and of course alternative sources for keyboard membranes and fixes for the TV issue.

:D :D
msch
Site Admin

Post by msch »

Yes, this is a great success story!

Look at the first post from 2008:
viewtopic.php?p=2

:-D

Btw: same success with the german Forums (founded in 2004, March 4th):
Total posts 34661 • Total topics 2522 • Total members 391

For me the biggest merit is, that the Sinclair community is stronger than ever before! The forums are an essential catalyst for for new ideas and projects and of course for meetings like "Spectrum 35" (and the annual ZX-Team Meetings).

Edit: founding date corrected.
Mathias

Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Andy Rea wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:24 pm Nice introduction and may I congratulate and thank the ZX-TEAM for taking on the forum.

Andy
I echo this feeling.

I also believe if it were not for these forums not only would I have never met some of the most gifted and talented zx gurus around,but I also would not be blessed with all the hard/software miracles that make my zeddy world so enjoyable.

@Rich.

Thanks for all the hard work much appreciated. :D

@The new ZXteam

All the best for the next ten years. :D

Regards.

Moggy.
msch
Site Admin

Post by msch »

Moggy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 pm @The new ZXteam

All the best for the next ten years. :D

Uhh, I made a big mistake. The german Forums was founded earlier - in 2004 (March, 4th):

http://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=2

Sorry for the confusion...
Mathias

sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

msch wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:32 am Look at the first post from 2008:
viewtopic.php?p=2
It had to be me with the first reply hahaha..!