From Southeast Minnesota

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
TheZuke

From Southeast Minnesota

Post by TheZuke »

A Timex-Sinclair 1000 was my first computer, followed by a VIC-20 and an Atari 400. But it was the T-S 1000 that I really cut my teeth on. The 16K Expansion followed a few months later. Unfortunately, it all broke when I tried to add a "real" keyboard sometime later. (tossed it all)
A couple weeks ago I bought a T-S 1000 at an estate sale. It still had the original box, foam, cables, manual, and warranty card. It was missing the antenna switch. (No expansion module)
I didn't get a signal when I attached it to my flat screen TV, but it just may be the "back porch" problem.
It was obvious it had been opened before, and when I opened it, the keyboard flat cables were broken right where they enter the main board connectors.
(it looks like I just need to trim the cables back). The 5 volt regulator is working.
So, I joined this group after reading a number of articles here.
I have an Associate's Degree in Electronics, and another in Computer Systems. 12 years ago, I graduated with a Bachelor's in Computer Information Systems. I currently repair Android tablets used in Automotive diagnostics.
At home, I have Electronic Test Equipment, (DVM's, freq. gen, freq. counter, function gen, oscilloscope (dual-trace 125 MHz), logic probe, 8bit Logic Analyser (CP/M based)) as well as ESD mat and wrist strap. All I need is the time to get into it.

If it is just the "back porch" problem, I look forward to adding more RAM inside and maybe an Expansion card for peripherals.
Thanks for letting me join!
Lardo Boffin

Re: From Southeast Minnesota

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Welcome on board!

One of the (many) experts on here will be able to provide advice on any issues you have getting it going. Good luck!
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
jdfan1000

Post by jdfan1000 »

Hi,

You may want to look into the ZX8-CCB (PokeMon sells them on Sell My Retro https://www.sellmyretro.com/user/profile/PokeMon/); it worked great on my 1000.

New membranes are available:
https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detai ... rd%29-2529
My archive.org collection, containing many Timex/Sinclair related publications.

TimexSinclair.com, my website about Sinclair computers in the US.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello and welcome to our forum TheZuke!

:D :D :D

I hope you enjoy the forum :D

We are happy to help if you have any questions.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.