Hi!

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
Trevor_B

Hi!

Post by Trevor_B »

Hi - I'm new to the board so just a quick introduction..

I was bought a 1k zx81 for my 16th birthday - back in 1981. I still have it and it still works. A year later I got a 16k rampack for my birthday; in the intervening months I got to know efficient programming as you'd imagine.

So - here I am, 39 years later in Covid Lockdown 2. Having spent my entire working life in IT as a result of that ZX81, I've pretty much done most IT jobs but still have fond memories of that little black magic box.

Why am I here? I recently decided that I wanted to build my own computer; no - not just assembling ready made cards onto a PC motherboard, real building. A family friend built a Nascom when I was in my formative years - I was in awe of this seeming jumble of components and what they could do. My "building a computer" had to involve a soldering iron and burnt fingers - hence I bought a Minstrel 3 board and over the space of a few weeks acquired the components. I know I could have bought a complete kit from TFW8B, but "my" Minstrel had to fit inside an original case - you can't get the kit without the attached keyboard now.

I now have a "new" ZX81 - completed with 3d printed case (but tbh - I've bought a "dead" zx81 and I'm going to refurb and use an original case).

Like most people, I don't have access to a cassette recorder (my 20something year old son can't believe we had to turn the things over to hear the other side!). I've got a TXDuino instead - though I can't seem to get anything to load - sometimes it looks like a programme is loading then screen dies.. any hints or tips?

In my collection of kit, I've also got 2 rubber keyed Spectrums, an Oric 48k, an Acorn Atom with a couple of broken keys (if anyone knows where I can get some key inserts, or an STL file of them so I can 3d print my own...?), A BBC B, more PC's that I care to shake a stick at and at least a punnet of Raspberry Pi's (14 at last count - I've stopped counting!).

..and that's me
PokeMon

Re: Hi!

Post by PokeMon »

Welcome aboard ! 8-)
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Welcome!

If you need Atom advice try the Stardot forum. Very big on Acorn stuff there. :D

I have a TZXDuino and it works really well with my ZX81. I have in fact bought several and sold some with refurbished zeddies. All have been excellent.

Did you make yours or buy it? I bought mine ready built and note that they have a volume adjuster inside (that comes preset). If this is the case with yours maybe it needs adjusting? It might be that volume level is different for a Minstrel?

I also had to scratch the itch of the build my own zeddie viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2592
A really simple and fast process... :roll:
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Trevor_B wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:31 pm I've got a TXDuino instead - though I can't seem to get anything to load - sometimes it looks like a programme is loading then screen dies.. any hints or tips?
I've built one myself, as a shield for an Arduino.

It works, when the output pin is changing between 0V and 5V. If the output is lower, it will not load on my ZX81.

If I put a multimeter to the output pin, it says 2,5V, because that's the average because the signal is shifting between 0V and 5V. If your average is below 2,5V your should see if it can be adjusted.

However if the volume is too high it will not load either. Try and see if you can find some volume adjustment.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
TMD2003

Post by TMD2003 »

Talking of build-it-yourself kits, what's the situation with Tynemouth Software? Part of me is tempted by a Minstrel 2 - although I'd have to get a lot better at soldering before I attempted to tackle that! - but, although it's still available at TheFutureWas8Bit, the Tindie store - the one that's supposed to be shut temporarily while we're all under the jackboot of Coronatarianism - says:

"Store Closed. Game Over."

That looks like a permanent closure to me.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Trevor_B

Post by Trevor_B »

I must admit I'm sad at the closure (hopefully not permanent) of Tyndie. Having only recently discovered them, they then closed.

Dave Curran still has an active blog - posted earlier this week; maybe the retail side of things was just getting to be to much.
He did reply to an email to point me at the ROM images for the Minstrel as it's not obvious in the instructions.

Thanks for the hints on the TZXDuino - I've just had a play and still no joy; I measured the output at the earphone cable and with amplifier bypass it was ~2.5v - but no signal being seen by the machine. With amplifier switched on, the voltage dropped (?) but it was being seen (for a few seconds, then crashed..). Turning the gain pot lower reduced the volume, but still no joy loading. I'm using the original mono cables just in case.

The TZXDuino is one of these :-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tzxduino-Max ... 2749.l2649

..is this the same type you're using?

It looks like I'll have to power up old faithful (my original zx81) and see if it works - which could be interesting as I'll need to find a suitable telly (i've yet to attempt a composite mod on it!)

Trev
Last edited by Trevor_B on Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello and welcome to our forum Trevor!

:D :D :D

I hope you enjoy this forum :D

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.