Hello from Sunderland, UK

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
PROSM

Hello from Sunderland, UK

Post by PROSM »

Hello all! :D I've been a member of Spectrum Computing for some time now, and have written a few Spectrum games in machine code. Recently, I've found myself becoming interested in the ZX81, mainly due to its rather eccentric method of video generation. Earlier this year, I bought one with a RAM pack, original documentation and a few tapes for £30, probably the best price I was ever likely to get considering the good condition.

I haven't had the chance to try it out yet, so instead I've been fiddling about and testing snippets of code in emulation, just trying to figure out the specific details of the Zeddy's hardware. When I start using my real machine, I hope to try out some more advanced hi-res techniques, provided I can get my head around all the intricacies of the video system.

Anyway, that's probably enough for now. I look forward to bothering asking you all for advice, and hopefully contributing some too from time to time.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
My Sinclair software to-date
Working on something, as always :)
1024MAK

Re: Hello from Sunderland, UK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello and welcome to our forum PROSM!

:D :D :D

I hope you enjoy this forum :D

When you are ready, please do ask any questions that you may have.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PROSM

Post by PROSM »

Thanks for the kind welcome, 1024MAK! Nice to see a familiar face from Spectrum Computing.
My Sinclair software to-date
Working on something, as always :)
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

PROSM wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:27 pm Hello all! :D I've been a member of Spectrum Computing for some time now, and have written a few Spectrum games in machine code. Recently, I've found myself becoming interested in the ZX81, mainly due to its rather eccentric method of video generation.
recognizable.
I haven't had the chance to try it out yet, so instead I've been fiddling about and testing snippets of code in emulation, just trying to figure out the specific details of the Zeddy's hardware. When I start using my real machine, I hope to try out some more advanced hi-res techniques, provided I can get my head around all the intricacies of the video system.

Anyway, that's probably enough for now. I look forward to bothering asking you all for advice, and hopefully contributing some too from time to time.
No problem, we can help you with understanding the ZX81.
1 quick tip: HALT is not HALT as it is on the ZX Spectrum. You can't use that as a delay.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

HALT is especially fun when it’s running in FAST mode :P

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.