Hi Everyone

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
sparkyhall

Hi Everyone

Post by sparkyhall »

I have finally obtained a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K and a ZX81 motherboard after being an Acorn fan since the early 80s.

The ZX81 motherboard needed a new ceramic resonator, the reversing of mods and a membrane keyboard. I had mistakenly assumed that ZX81 cases were available, like spectrum cases. I then looked at getting a case 3D printed but that would cost more than buying an untested used ZX81. You can guess what I did next.

The ZX Spectrum needed a replacement ULA and a new keyboard membrane. It had already been re-capped, regulator replaced with a modern dc-dc and had a composite mod, still needs some cosmetic work though as someone had tried to glue the the faceplate back on with glue that has melted the plastic.

I had been put off Sinclair products in the eighties by a friends second hand ZX80 that had been upgraded to ZX81 specifications. He asked me if the TV screen should roll every time he presses a key, my assumption was no as I couldn’t believe this would be normal behaviour and assumed something was wrong, it was normal for the ZX80 hardware. I had also heard that the new, soon be released ZX Spectrum, would have a full size keyboard. You can imagine my disappointment when it was released.

To add to this, we bought a couple of ZX Spectrums with micro drives and printers for work to run experimental test rigs. The ZX Spectrums were really good for this task, being cheap and capable. But those Micro drives were a joke and although fast when working, they seemed less reliable than normal audio cassettes.

Anyhow, here we are in 2023 and I finally appreciate how good these little machines were. Who would have thought that 40+ years on they would still be working and bringing so much joy to peoples lives.
krowne

Re: Hi Everyone

Post by krowne »

Hi Sparkyhall a warm welcome from everyone on Sinclair ZX World they are an extremely helpful gang on here you will find everyone who can offer advice only too happy to help
Brian
1024MAK

Re: Hi Everyone

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello and welcome to our forum sparkyhall!

:D :D :D

I hope you enjoy this forum :D

If you have any questions please do ask.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.