Unstable when attaching mains

Discussion forums for users of the Cambridge Z88 Portable Computer
cha05e90

Unstable when attaching mains

Post by cha05e90 »

Hello!

I thought it might be a good idea to attach a mains adapter to my Z88 while exchanging data with my WIN box via Eazylink2 (I suppose the serial connection needs some energy... :-)). While attaching the mains adapter (the "newer" original Cambridge Computer plug-in power supply) the Z88 went into a "soft reset".

Because this is of course more than 30 years old, I tried a brand new "after market" mains adapter (CJE) - but this triggerd a "soft reset" as well. After some investigation it seems (regardless which adapter or plug in order) that every 4th or 5th connection triggers a soft reset and one out of ten even "freezes" the Z88 completely - only a "hard reset" can save it from that state.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong here or might this be (a known?) defect of my Z88?
48K/+/+/+/+128K/Vega/Next&80/81&88
g7mmj

Re: Unstable when attaching mains

Post by g7mmj »

Mine does the same. I suspect it may be down to elderly capacitors in need of replacement but I haven't investigated yet.

Steve
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Are you connecting while it’s on or when it’s asleep?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
cha05e90

Post by cha05e90 »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:13 am Are you connecting while it’s on or when it’s asleep?

Mark
I tried both variants and (just a "feeling") connecting while asleep seems to trigger the problems a littlebit more often...
48K/+/+/+/+128K/Vega/Next&80/81&88