Difficulty loading real tapes in EightyOne

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
damieng

Difficulty loading real tapes in EightyOne

Post by damieng »

Hi there.

I'm trying to archive some tapes and while I know what a Spectrum should sound like and can tweak the tone/volume right I'm struggling with the ZX81 (well, the TS1000 specifically) as I acquired these tapes from somebody else.

Can you provide a screenshot of what the WAV manager should look like when loading a good tape? I'm tweaking the two sliders but am not sure what the recording should look like relative to the red and green lines for a successful load.

Also my Tape Source > Audio In is greyed out - any idea why that might be? (I'm currently sampling in Audacity at 44.1KHz/16-bit/mono and then trying the resulting WAV file in EightyOne in TS1000 mode with the 16K pack option set).

XavSnap

Re: Difficulty loading real tapes in EightyOne

Post by XavSnap »

Hi Damieng,

Just get your sound file in a Wav file format with a sound capture tool. (the direct sound input can be corrupt by the system sound pooling)
Open the Wav input window, and select the green line (bits volume trigger) to 2/3 of the max higher harmonics volume.
Select the tape converter (tape icon), and check the file in the TZX window.
To create a 'P' file, you need to convert a single file… you had to delete all other one.

If a LOAD"" don't work, you had to use a specific tool (or host wavs files on a backup web site to allow us to fix it).

Have fun…
wav01.JPG
wav02.JPG
Xavier

mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

My greatest succes with reading bad tapes has been with the Java ZX81 Tape Converter.

It can be a little difficult to find the right default values, but you can correct any bit that is interpreted wrong.
Martin
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube

stroebeljc

Post by stroebeljc »

mrtinb wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:32 pm
My greatest succes with reading bad tapes has been with the Java ZX81 Tape Converter.

It can be a little difficult to find the right default values, but you can correct any bit that is interpreted wrong.
I totally agree, Martin. This is a great tool and also is the best at generating wave files, I believe.
John

XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

"Tape Doctor" (java by Arnaud Guyon‎)
34268900_10156484962149533_2946259114499506176_o[1].jpg
https://github.com/smart-fun/TapeDoctor
Xavier

XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

Keep your smartphone away !!!