New release of EightyOne available

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
Fruitcake

Re: New release of EightyOne available

Post by Fruitcake »

Elurdio wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:29 pm In other words, wiht 48k: Every time EightyOne starts or it is resetted it must have the "Protect ROM from Writes" checked.
Correct, then things behave as they did in EO v1.28.
Elurdio

Post by Elurdio »

I don't have any knowledge about the emulation process, but if it were possible, by allowing the ROM to be written, to leave the byte with address 0000 so that it is not writable, then this would solve the problem with the memory check. and allow the entire ROM (except the first byte) to be writable.
kmurta

Post by kmurta »

Fruitcake wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:47 pm
kmurta wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:28 am Wow! Maybe it can also support clock doubler in a future version?
Are there details somewhere of how this works as presumably something clever must be done to maintain the timing of the display output?
Basically the Z80 clock goes to 6.5MHz when executing the user program and returns to 3.25MHz during video generation. This is really not something essential, but I think it's not complicated to implement. Here are the technical details:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210214010 ... /turbo.htm

But if you are willing to do so, it might also be interesting to consider implementing Andy Rea's ZX-ULA2 functionality:

http://web.archive.org/web/201209062350 ... ulamk2.pdf

Here's a video of my ZX81 with the ZX81X2.ROM and clock doubler (and improved Wait circuit) enabled:

https://youtu.be/6Py3NUiEoDs
1 x ZX81, 2 x TK85 , 1 TK82C, 1 TK95, 1 x Alphacom 32 printer, 1 x ZXpand
ZeXtender board, Joy81 - Programmable Joystick Controller, Turbo Sound 81
http://zx81.eu5.org
https://toddysoftware.itch.io/
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

Not huge deals, but couple other tweaks for EightyOne...

- TS1500 has option greyed out for ZXpand. I have tested this on mine (at least with latest ZXpand+) and it works fine - would be nice to enable that.
- For us 60hz folks, the machines run dramatically slower - my understanding is that the clock on 60hz models is a tiny bit faster and the overall affect should be similar performance?
- I'm getting a single screen crawl on start up in ZX81 mode especially when using Zonx/WRX and whenever the sound is called it makes the screen crawl too; I don't see this on real hardware if memory serves right.

Thanks!
Zeddy: ZX80, ZX81/ZXpand, TS1000/ZXpand, TS1500/Zxpand+
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
QL: Minerva/QL-VGA/Custom PSU
C5: 24v, LiFE battery, Disc brakes
georgeo

Post by georgeo »

I've been making good use of the built-in debugger in latest version of EightyOne (V 1.29). It is really useful (as is the profiler) but I do see an issue when single-stepping throuhg a program. Specifically, I assume the Over button, when used on a CALL command, runs the called code and then resumes single-stepping when returning from the called code. For me, this doesn't work. The debugging just carries on executing code. The work-around is to set a breakpoint for the command immediately following the call, but this is quite cumbersome. Am I misunderstanding how Over works?
stefano

Post by stefano »

Long time ago I complained for a problem on EO I wasn't able to reproduce.
I finally spotted what goes on, it is the 'extended effects' on the TV emulation !
If must be turned on when you require the TS2068 High Reolution, and must be disabled when you want to use some of the ZX81 graphics modes, possibly the Memothech HRG and the ARX graphics trick.
sincleusCat

Post by sincleusCat »

Superb thing! Do you interested in to add .scl images support, e.g.?
georgeo

Post by georgeo »

Anyone used the debugger in EightyOne to set breakpoints on I/O operations? I'm trying to detect OUT instructions to port FD (within the Jupiter Ace emulator) and have set up a breakpoint to trip when "OUT A7-0" = $FD. As I have to set a condition on the value, I set this to be >= $00.

However, even though there are definitely OUTs to port FD, the breakpoint is never tripped.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Elurdio

Post by Elurdio »

georgeo wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:27 pm I've been making good use of the built-in debugger in latest version of EightyOne (V 1.29). It is really useful (as is the profiler) but I do see an issue when single-stepping throuhg a program. Specifically, I assume the Over button, when used on a CALL command, runs the called code and then resumes single-stepping when returning from the called code. For me, this doesn't work. The debugging just carries on executing code. The work-around is to set a breakpoint for the command immediately following the call, but this is quite cumbersome. Am I misunderstanding how Over works?
I have the same problem. OVER don't work.
Brimbard

Post by Brimbard »

Thanks for keeping this emulator alive.
The instructions are superb, step-by step and easy to follow.
Just instead of burning a DVD I just mounted the .iso file with a right click (windows 10).

I had version 1.23 up and running.
Now trying to update to 1.29 I ran into the issue with the AnimTimer mentioned above.
So I remove the #include "AnimTimer.h" from main_.h and also removed under 'Project-Options...-Directories/Conditionals" the AnimTimer directory from the include path.

Still I am getting error messages:
[C++] Compiling: G:\EightyOne\Source\EightyOne.cpp
[C++] Including vcl4.h instead of vcl.h due to -Hr switch
[C++ Error] EightyOne.cpp(135): E2015 Ambiguity between 'TPrinter' and 'Printers::TPrinter'
[C++ Error] splashImpl.cpp(23): E2015 Ambiguity between 'TPrinter' and 'Printers::TPrinter'
[C++ Error] splashImpl.cpp(23): E2015 Ambiguity between 'Printer' and '_fastcall Printers::Printer()'
[C++ Error] EightyOne.cpp(232): E2451 Undefined symbol 'exception'

Has anyone an idea what I might have missed?