New release of EightyOne available

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
Fruitcake

Re: New release of EightyOne available

Post by Fruitcake »

Elurdio wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:06 pm
georgeo wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:27 pm I've been making good use of the built-in debugger in latest version of EightyOne (V 1.29). It is really useful (as is the profiler) but I do see an issue when single-stepping throuhg a program. Specifically, I assume the Over button, when used on a CALL command, runs the called code and then resumes single-stepping when returning from the called code. For me, this doesn't work. The debugging just carries on executing code. The work-around is to set a breakpoint for the command immediately following the call, but this is quite cumbersome. Am I misunderstanding how Over works?
I have the same problem. OVER don't work.
I haven't managed to reproduce this problem. Here is what I tried:
  • Select the computer as a ZX81
  • Open the debugger window
  • In the debugger window, add a breakpoint at $023E (which is in the VSync routine at the point where it calls KEYBOARD at $02BB)
  • The breakpoint gets hit and the program stops at $023E
  • In the debugger window, click 'Over'
  • The debugger runs and stops at $0241 which is the instruction after the CALL
Could you provide step-by-step instructions on a scenario I can repeat that demonstrates Step Over not working so that I can investigate the cause?
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

Thanks for the updates! (FYI, if you select a different HW like TS100 from ZX81 when zxpand is already selected, it deselects the sound, so you have to un check and recheck zxpand tp reenable it)
Zeddy: ZX80, ZX81/ZXpand, TS1000/ZXpand, TS1500/Zxpand+
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
QL: Minerva/QL-VGA/Custom PSU
C5: 24v, LiFE battery, Disc brakes
Elurdio

Post by Elurdio »

Fruitcake wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:48 pm
Elurdio wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:06 pm
georgeo wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:27 pm I've been making good use of the built-in debugger in latest version of EightyOne (V 1.29). It is really useful (as is the profiler) but I do see an issue when single-stepping throuhg a program. Specifically, I assume the Over button, when used on a CALL command, runs the called code and then resumes single-stepping when returning from the called code. For me, this doesn't work. The debugging just carries on executing code. The work-around is to set a breakpoint for the command immediately following the call, but this is quite cumbersome. Am I misunderstanding how Over works?
I have the same problem. OVER don't work.
I haven't managed to reproduce this problem. Here is what I tried:
  • Select the computer as a ZX81
  • Open the debugger window
  • In the debugger window, add a breakpoint at $023E (which is in the VSync routine at the point where it calls KEYBOARD at $02BB)
  • The breakpoint gets hit and the program stops at $023E
  • In the debugger window, click 'Over'
  • The debugger runs and stops at $0241 which is the instruction after the CALL
Could you provide step-by-step instructions on a scenario I can repeat that demonstrates Step Over not working so that I can investigate the cause?
Hi,

I have realized that the problem only arise when when the option "Continuous" in "Control Window" is checked:

If the program stops at a breakpoint and then I use OVER with a RST (restart) or CALL the program executes until it finds another breakpoint. It does not stop at the instruction after the RST or CALL. In the Break-points Windows appears a message: {EXE $nnnn} where $nnnn is the address of the instrucction after the RST or the CALL.

Anyway, from now on I will use the debugger with "continuous" unchecked when I use OVER. Thanks.
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

Elurdio wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:36 am I have realized that the problem only arise when when the option "Continuous" in "Control Window" is checked:
Ah, ok. Thanks, I can reproduce the problem now. I see the the same issue applies to the Step Out button. I will look to include a fix in the next release.
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

Hi All,

Would somebody with ZXpand be willing to check if a joystick/game pad still works on the latest version of Eightyone?

My USB joypad no longer is recognized at all when using ZXpand emulation (used to work fine) but it still shows up under windows as working with all the directions/buttons lighting up as expected when testing under windows.

Thanks!
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
retrofan8081

Post by retrofan8081 »

Mine works.
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

Thanks. Turns out was user error - poor source code control.

Alls well :)
georgeo

Post by georgeo »

Fruitcake wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:28 pm
Elurdio wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:36 am I have realized that the problem only arise when when the option "Continuous" in "Control Window" is checked:
Ah, ok. Thanks, I can reproduce the problem now. I see the the same issue applies to the Step Out button. I will look to include a fix in the next release.
Hi, Thanks for investigating this (and for enabling IN/OUT-based breakpoints in the Jupiter Ace mode, which makes porting Boldfield Soundbox code much easier!). Happy to test Debugging options Over/ Step-out, if useful.

EightyOne is an excellent emulator!
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

If the program stops at a breakpoint and then I use OVER with a RST (restart) or CALL the program executes until it finds another breakpoint. It does not stop at the instruction after the RST or CALL. In the Break-points Windows appears a message: {EXE $nnnn} where $nnnn is the address of the instrucction after the RST or the CALL.

Anyway, from now on I will use the debugger with "continuous" unchecked when I use OVER. Thanks.
This has now been fixed in v1.32.
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

A more minor release, but EightyOne v1.33 is now available.