New release of EightyOne available

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
Andy Rea

Re: New release of EightyOne available

Post by Andy Rea »

Moggy wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:40 pm Just a minor bug I seem to have found in v1.4 when I'm running in win7.

When using the H4th/TreeForth ROM if the "MEM ." command is invoked it reports remaining RAM as 31344k whereas it should be 14976k
That's a lot of k.... works out to around 14.5 Mb i reckon that probably enough memory to run a small nuclear power plant :mrgreen:
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Andy Rea wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:46 pm
Moggy wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:40 pm Just a minor bug I seem to have found in v1.4 when I'm running in win7.

When using the H4th/TreeForth ROM if the "MEM ." command is invoked it reports remaining RAM as 31344k whereas it should be 14976k
That's a lot of k.... works out to around 14.5 Mb i reckon that probably enough memory to run a small nuclear power plant :mrgreen:
Clever sod!! :lol:

Should have put Bytes not K's

Makes silent vow to get Andy at playtime
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

as some may know by now i am working with UDG right now, and i am quite far in writing a UDG designer up to now most of the testing has been on real hardware but i did run across a bug that required further investigation and so fire up eightyone 1.5 only to discover that quicksilva graphics mode seems to be totally borked....

regards Andy
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

How borked? QS mode has a switch in the menu, to enable it. It's enabled by default but I don't know how the various hardware switches interact. Perhaps you only need a 16k rampack selected, though ZXpand overrides the RAMpack settings. It was working for me when I last looked. Please post a repro scenario.

More info from NO$:

"
QuickSilva QS CHRS board
Maps 1K RAM to 8400h-87FFh, allows to define and display 128 characters (64 normal, and, independently thereof, 64 inverted characters) (for example, the inverse ones can be assigned as lowercase letters).
On power-up, the RAM is uninitialized, so garbage would be displayed. Quicksilva has "solved" this problem by providing a mechanical switch, where the user can (must) manually enable/disable the CHRS feature (there is no I/O port to do this by software). Moreover, the board has 4 DIP switches, presumably for adjusting HSYNC or so (should be all off for ZX81 in SLOW mode, or switch 3,4 on for ZX80 and ZX81 in FAST mode) (whereas "FAST" mode is probably meant to mean PAUSE/INPUT, accordingly software should avoid to switch between SLOW mode and PAUSE/INPUT).
Depending on the invert bit, the first or second 512 bytes are mirrored to 1E00h on ULA access (however, the CPU is still able to read ROM from 1E00h; though, eventually, ROM-reading MIGHT work only when the enable switch is off?)
"
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Switch... menu... :shock:

I'll go look.for it... :geek:

And report back ;)

Thank you SirMorris

Andy
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Ah right... my mistake then.... :roll:

Thanks for the help

Regards Andy
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

I just found this new 1.5 version of Eighty one. When I first started it from my desktop (win10) it could not find the rom. I found the rom for ZX81 1 and 2 as well as ZXPand. When I select ZX81 roms 1 or 2 It works but if I choose the ZXPand rom, it's a hi-res scrambled mess on the screen.

Is there help on configuring and setting this up as its been a while (last version was 1 for eighty one)?

Tim
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (61.63 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (106.05 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

When updating EightyOne versions, it is worthwhile deleting its configuration file before running the new version.

On Windows 7 the configuration file can be found in this folder:
C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\EightyOne\EightyOne.ini

where {username} is your Windows user account name.

I'm not sure what the path is on Windows 10 but it is probably the same. The AppData folder will be hidden by default and so you won't be able to browse to it, but you can type the path into Windows Explorer and it will directly open the folder.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The ZXpand ROM is what is known as a overlay ROM. It will not work correctly when placed "inside" the ZX81/TS1000 because it does not contain any character bit patterns. Hence the mess on the screen when you select it!

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

^ What Mark said :D

Use the regular ROM and the zxpand stuff takes care of itself. It's not obvious, I'll admit, so maybe I should protect against that in the emulator code.

All you need for ZXpand support is to select the option in the menu. Maybe I'll set the ROMs accordingly and override the settings when you check the box.