New release of EightyOne available

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
Fruitcake

New release of EightyOne available

Post by Fruitcake »

Over the past few months I've been enhancing the EightyOne emulator with support for new functionality and also fixing a number of existing bugs.

The new functionality added is: These changes are built upon the latest available source code containing ZXpand functionality (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1477).

It has been necessary to work out how to set up the development environment necessary to build EightyOne, and a number of modifications have been required to allow the source code to be built successfully on all modern versions of Windows. I've documented the process so that others may replicate the set up and therefore continue supporting future development of the emulator.

After discovering a few weeks ago that Michael Wynne's website had vanished, I decided to collate all the release versions of the emulator that I have or that I could find online (including the ZXpand patch releases made on this forum by SirMorris) and upload these to an archive on SourceForge. Where available I have also included the source code for each release.

Michael's website has since reappeared and so I have contacted him to confirm that he is happy for me to publish the older versions and also to enhance the emulator with new functionality. He was pleased that development of the emulator is continuing and is interested to hear about any future enhancements made.

The SourceForge archive can be found here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/eighty ... r-emulator

The new facilities introduced into the emulator can be selected using the Colour and ROM Cartridge drop down boxes within the Hardware options dialog. When Chroma or Spectra colour functionality has been selected, the Control menu on the emulator's main window contains options to enable/disable it, replicating the on/off switch found on those interfaces.

Details about the bug fixes made to the emulator are summarised in the change history text file included within the release distribution for the new version (version 1.1). The instructions for setting up the development environment and how to build the emulator can be found in the corresponding source code distribution.
chernandezba

Re: New release of EightyOne available

Post by chernandezba »

Great Paul!

Another emulator that supports spectra and chroma 81 :)

Cheers
Cesar
----

ZEsarUX
ZX Second-Emulator And Released for UniX
https://github.com/chernandezba/zesarux
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Thanks for putting the latest version and source on sourceforge.
And thanks for adding so much hardware support. 8-)
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

ImageImageImage

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
msch
Site Admin

Post by msch »

I've documented the process so that others may replicate the set up and therefore continue supporting future development of the emulator.
Great Job - thank You very much!
Mathias

ZX-Team member and classic computer collector
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

It was around 12 years ago (I think), I had a week off work and didn't know what to do with myself. I know, I thought, there's dozens of Spectrum emulators out there but not a single ZX81 emulator that runs well under windows - I'll put one together. And so it came that I stole the Z80 core from Fuse, various bits of code (FDD and so on) from other emulators and came up with EO...

I truly thought in those years, something far better that I wrote would have come along. But here we are year later and all I can say is good luck. You never know, I might even make some contributions myself.
REX LIES IN WAIT
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Your emulator is a great piece of work ! 8-)
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

I've discovered 3 bugs in the version 1.1 release (2 in the debugger window and 1 in the QS Character emulation).

I've fixed these and released version 1.2 on the SourceForge website:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/eighty ... r-emulator

I've also made a correction to the document describing how to set up the development environment and build the emulator. This can be found in the source code distribution for the new version.
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

After uploading the new version 1.2 files to SourceForge last night, I realised soon afterwards that I had mistakenly uploaded a development version instead of the actual release version. I quickly removed the files and have now had a chance to upload the correct ones.

If you happened to have downloaded the erroneous files within the short period that they were available, please could you discard them and replace with the new files (both the Release and the Source zips).

I'll try and refrain from uploading new files during the early hours to avoid silly mistakes like that happening again... :oops:
jonesypeter

Post by jonesypeter »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your work on this. It is a great emulator.

I'm getting an issue when trying to save to tape. The dialogue box seems to crash. I'm on a laptop running Windows 8.1 at the moment.

I enclose a screenshot (Saved on Dropbox)

Best wishes

Peter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/afnz969yvypod ... e.PNG?dl=0