New release of EightyOne available

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
GCHarder

Re: New release of EightyOne available

Post by GCHarder »

Just curious, does the speed option in the menu actually do anything? No matter what setting I choose I don't see any noticeable change in speed. It would be nice to have some programming running at Fast and Furious speeds.

Regards;

Greg
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

GCHarder wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:48 pm Just curious, does the speed option in the menu actually do anything?
I've always found this does make an impact. You don't see any speed improvement at all?
GCHarder

Post by GCHarder »

If I run this program...

10 PRINT "X";
20 GOTO 10

Speed settings of 1X, 16X and 32X all take about 6 sec. to fill the screen.

Don't worry about it, it can't be that important if no one else has mentioned it.

Maybe it's something in my WIN7 setup.

Regards;

Greg
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

GCHarder wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 am Speed settings of 1X, 16X and 32X all take about 6 sec. to fill the screen.
Strange. I see a clear difference filling the screen like that, at least up to 4x. Beyond that it is still rapid but looks similar to 4x. Whenever I'm typing in a program I always crank the speed up to 4x or 8x (beyond that it looks like the display drawing can't keep up).

I've never looked into that part of the code to see how it controls the speed.

Does the 'Enable Frame Skip' checkbox make any difference for you?

Does anyone else experience the same problem?
neazoi

Post by neazoi »

No but, I use V0.43 because it doesn't have the weird horizontal lines on zx80 and the screen is pure white as it should.
BTW, I have decided to run my own programs archive for the machine, all copied from the web (your site and others) and scanned books/magazine issues. I made most of them available in wav as well and I test most of them on the real machine, well short of a mil-spec replica of the original that I have made http://qrp.gr/zx80/
Enjoy!
Oh, how did you made the animated gifs of the game screenshots?
GCHarder

Post by GCHarder »

Skip frame just makes the display choppy but doesn't do anything for the speed.

Neazoi, the interlace lines can be eliminated by adjusting one of the sliders in the TV emulation window, I forget which one off hand.

Regards;

Greg
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

EightyOne v1.14 is now available from SourceForge. This is a fairly small release that primarily resolves the defects that crept in with v1.13, but it also fixes a number of other minor bugs and includes a few enhancements, most notably to the Debugger's Profiler facility. See the Release history.txt file that comes with the emulator for the full list of changes.
Crayon21

Post by Crayon21 »

will there ever be support for the QL. the option is on there but the rom is nonexistent
In Heck, there are two options for perpetual torment:

Eat the Puckerberry and suffer for eternity:
drink nothing but a cocktail of The Last Dab and Mexican Cake blended and served with
habanero slices
:twisted:
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

Crayon21 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:49 am will there ever be support for the QL. the option is on there but the rom is nonexistent
It doesn't look like the QL code was ever finished and so I suspect it has never worked. I was tempted to disable it in the Hardware options but left it visible as a prompt in case someone would like to have a go at getting the code to work. Our knowledge only really covers the ZX machines and so we could do with someone with detailed knowledge of the QL to help out with that side of the emulator...
Crayon21

Post by Crayon21 »

how would it be able to be fixed? C? Python?
In Heck, there are two options for perpetual torment:

Eat the Puckerberry and suffer for eternity:
drink nothing but a cocktail of The Last Dab and Mexican Cake blended and served with
habanero slices
:twisted: