New release of EightyOne available

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
Fruitcake

Re: New release of EightyOne available

Post by Fruitcake »

Hi Peter

I haven't seen the save dialog lock up like that before. I've tried to reproduce the problem you've seen but it worked reliably for me.

Saving isn't an area I have really changed in the code. Do you get the same problem if you use version 1.0a of the emulator?

Does a lock up always occur irrespective of the program you are trying to save? Does it also happen when you try to save from a 48K Spectrum?

I've been editing and testing using Windows 7, but I can set up a Windows 8.1 installation to see if this behaves differently (although this will take some time). Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 8.1?

Has anyone else seen this problem?
nollkolltroll

Post by nollkolltroll »

In the recent updates it is possible to have a video framebuffer in ROM, just like on the real thing. This has greatly simplified my coding endeavour. So a big thanks to those involved!
/Adam
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

nollkolltroll wrote:In the recent updates it is possible to have a video framebuffer in ROM,
What is that ? :shock:
nollkolltroll

Post by nollkolltroll »

I am doing a demo residing in an 8k EPROM that replaces the ordinary ROM. I have a framebuffer in ROM, which is larger than the screen, that is shown. Will be released in the near future, I still have some graphics work to do.
The code has worked on real HW for a long time, but EightyOne showed garbage until the recent updates.
/Adam
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

:shock: I should know by now to expect the unexpected :shock:
nollkolltroll

Post by nollkolltroll »

I hope this is the proper place t oreport bugs, did not find anything on the sourceforge-pages.
As I've described in http://sinclairzxworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1860 EO v1.2 does not work correctly when reading ZXpand-files via assembler call to the ROM. Instead of returning to the next assembler statement, it returns to BASIC.
/Adam
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Are you sure this is not a bug in ZXpand rather than in the emulator ?
Do you have the ZXpand for testing real hardware ?
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

I've tested on real hardware, which works on my particular revision set. There is indeed a bug in the emulation - the read-only flag is reported as being set which pages out the overlay ROM. It's a long story.

C
nollkolltroll

Post by nollkolltroll »

Further info: I've written code that does not utilise the ROM. This works in both EO v1.2 and EO 1.0X3.6, which leads me to suspect that EO v1.2 uses a buggy ZXpand ROM v2.3 as written on-screen when starting. EO 1.0X3.6 that works with ROM-call uses ZXpand ROM v2.2.
So I think it is not a direct fault in EO, but rather what ROM is linked and used in EO. Still a problem that needs to be fixed in EO to get it working properly.
/Adam
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

nollkolltroll wrote:So I think it is not a direct fault in EO, but rather what ROM is linked and used in EO. Still a problem that needs to be fixed in EO to get it working properly.
I've noticed a couple of bugs/quirks in the debugging screen of EightyOne and hope to release a new version if I can track these down. It would be good to fix other issues at the same time, so I've contacted SirMorris about this to see if there is anything that can easily be done to fix it.