ZX81 emulator for iOS

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
kpalser

Re: ZX81 emulator for iOS

Post by kpalser »

zx83 wrote:... was thrown by the ZX81 key legends. Any chance of switching to a ZX80 layout when that ROM is selected, please?
Thanks for the question because it gives me opportunity to sing the praises of Richard Langford: http://www.langfordproductions.com/computerart.html as per the about section of the app. You all read the Acknowledgements, don't you? ;)

The short answer is: yes, there is a chance and I have given it thought.

The long answer is:

I have to chop up Richard's efforts in to Swift code using PaintCode, key by key, legend by legend label and add them to the custom UIControl sub classes with a frame that that supports the "practical" keyboard option. It's a bit tedious but beats using a non vector graphic approach for results. When I do this I'll also show the white/yellow colour scheme and the ZX80 logo styling.

I also want to add the ZX80 IN result bit 6 setting for the display refresh rate (0=60Hz, 1=50Hz) US/UK and then display the T1500 layout if the 16k memory setting is combined with the US NTSC configuration.

But before get on to these keyboard layouts I have other aforementioned app points that I need to progress during the Christmas break.
zx83

Post by zx83 »

Thanks, always happy with long answers, interesting that you choose to use a vector representation but that is indeed the ideal approach for longevity and, er, scalability, and I guess means the hit detection and encoding is handled for you rather than with a magic multiline algebraic transformation which would be harder to test and debug.

After 35 years of course there's no rush, thanks for the reply and I shall poll here or on the app store for news of the update, whenever. You're welcome to bundle my little 'Shop Steward' game as a ZX80 example as long as you include a link to my page with related notes http://simon.mooli.org.uk/AF/article/shopstew.html but I dare say you can think of other titles which may be more suitable.
kpalser

Post by kpalser »

zx83 wrote:After 35 years of course there's no rush, thanks for the reply and I shall poll here or on the app store for news of the update, whenever. You're welcome to bundle my little 'Shop Steward' game as a ZX80 example as long as you include a link to my page with related notes http://simon.mooli.org.uk/AF/article/shopstew.html but I dare say you can think of other titles which may be more suitable.
No need to keep looking for updates - just check the first week of January. Hopefully Apple review times will have recovered after shutting up shop if they do so again for Christmas week. I shall include your game with a link and all the text from your page. Thank you. :D

With respect to other software being added the future pickings are still quite thin. There are a couple of early Software Farm games and an unfinished Mojon Twin title. Various other authors have politely declined, asking for their efforts not to be embedded within the app. If you are reading this and have the rights to a ZX80/ZX81 program with no objections to it being included in the app, then let me know.

Regards,
Kevin
tooloudtoowide

Post by tooloudtoowide »

Hi Kevin, great work!

I posted YT overview of the app for my Android based friends:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEEXkFz3DlQ

but
In my opinion:
PROS:
- it works.
- lots of options (ROMs, memory etc.)
- nice interface for portrait mode
- software/demos included

MINORS:
- cannot load own software (or have not found anything about this)
- not emulating peripherials for ZX81
- landscape mode has not functional screen view (small screen or keyboard over screen)

I know you will make this app more awesome, it's just my feedback to actual version. Cheers!
ZX81 issue 1 and issue 3
kpalser

Post by kpalser »

Hi!
tooloudtoowide wrote: I posted YT overview of the app for my Android based friends:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEEXkFz3DlQ
Thank you for downloading the app and going to the trouble of making a video! I created a youtube video to demonstrate the app for those that don't have iOS devices last month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekOW6p9sF1I
I think I prefer yours though.
tooloudtoowide wrote: MINORS:
- cannot load own software (or have not found anything about this)
See point 3 from the FAQ in the about screen of the app and also previous comments about Apple iOS developer guidelines on this topic thread. I am adding soon support for saving and restoring the emulator states so that you don't loose anything you were working on. It won't allow you to share theses saved states though with other app users because of said guideline restrictions.
tooloudtoowide wrote: - not emulating peripherials for ZX81
Definitely, Hint: I hope to add a bit of sound and colour in a future version (2017 Q2).
tooloudtoowide wrote: - landscape mode has not functional screen view (small screen or keyboard over screen)
Works best with an iPad. A new minor update was released today. If you have a Bluetooth keyboard and use the "clear" option in landscape mode the semi transparent virtual keyboard overlay is completely hidden.
tooloudtoowide wrote: I know you will make this app more awesome, it's just my feedback to actual version. Cheers!
a lot more to come, free time permitting.

Thanks,
Kevin
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

IMG_3486.PNG
ZX81 on an iPad mini
(210.33 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
:shock:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
kpalser

Post by kpalser »

Hi Mark,
If you a referring to the point about the Bluetooth keyboard hiding the keys in "Clear" mode when you start typing. Then twist your device to the landscape orientation and look for the "Clear" button on the left and not a virtual key.
Kevin
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

kpalser wrote:Hi Mark,
If you a referring to the point about the Bluetooth keyboard hiding the keys in "Clear" mode when you start typing. Then twist your device to the landscape orientation and look for the "Clear" button on the left and not a virtual key.
Kevin
Nope...
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

@ Kevin - see the PM I sent you ;-)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

kpalser wrote:
zx83 wrote:After 35 years of course there's no rush, thanks for the reply and I shall poll here or on the app store for news of the update, whenever. You're welcome to bundle my little 'Shop Steward' game as a ZX80 example as long as you include a link to my page with related notes http://simon.mooli.org.uk/AF/article/shopstew.html but I dare say you can think of other titles which may be more suitable.
No need to keep looking for updates - just check the first week of January. Hopefully Apple review times will have recovered after shutting up shop if they do so again for Christmas week. I shall include your game with a link and all the text from your page. Thank you. :D

With respect to other software being added the future pickings are still quite thin. There are a couple of early Software Farm games and an unfinished Mojon Twin title. Various other authors have politely declined, asking for their efforts not to be embedded within the app. If you are reading this and have the rights to a ZX80/ZX81 program with no objections to it being included in the app, then let me know.

Regards,
Kevin
Gave permission by PM and by contact form.

Johan "Dr Beep" Koelman