ZX81 emulator for iOS

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
kpalser

ZX81 emulator for iOS

Post by kpalser »

Hi all,

Apple approved my ZX81 emulator for iOS today: http://zx81-ios.weebly.com

Consider it just the first step of an app that I hope to extend with more functionality, software titles and eventually an interview section. Currently I'm working on a more game friendly version of the virtual keyboard in the form of a game pad. Currently game play is frustrated on smaller iOS devices due to the simulated key size.

There are only a few programs bundled with the first version of this app. Apple is quite strict regarding running software through its apps. Hence, I shall never be allowed to add functionality to load your favourite external P files or via recordings through the microphone etc. All the ZX81 software needs to be embedded in the app package submitted to Apple. If you have rights to ZX81 software and would like to see it included in future versions of the app then let me know.

Enjoy,
Kevin
Lardo Boffin

Re: ZX81 emulator for iOS

Post by Lardo Boffin »

kpalser wrote:Hi all,

Apple approved my ZX81 emulator for iOS today: http://zx81-ios.weebly.com

Consider it just the first step of an app that I hope to extend with more functionality, software titles and eventually an interview section. Currently I'm working on a more game friendly version of the virtual keyboard in the form of a game pad. Currently game play is frustrated on smaller iOS devices due to the simulated key size.

There are only a few programs bundled with the first version of this app. Apple is quite strict regarding running software through its apps. Hence, I shall never be allowed to add functionality to load your favourite external P files or via recordings through the microphone etc. All the ZX81 software needs to be embedded in the app package submitted to Apple. If you have rights to ZX81 software and would like to see it included in future versions of the app then let me know.

Enjoy,
Kevin
I downloaded that before I finished reading past the first sentence! Awesome stuff!

I was about to ask about loading external files but you beat me to it. Knowing Apple as I do I'm not surprised they block additional files. :roll:
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Actually how about the ability to save programs you type in?

I'm not sure if there is a limit on the size of local storage data but ZX81 progs are not that large.

Also you could save data in SQLite, one file per record in a fairly simple table. We use SQLite extensively at work in our iOS app. It's pretty good.

Lardo
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
kpalser

Post by kpalser »

Actually how about the ability to save programs you type in?
I'll give it some thought. There's certainly nothing in the Apple developer guide prohibiting saving your own programs. Probably more along the lines of a complete memory capture of the 16k of address space plus the registers rather than adding conditional traps to detect the ROM save routine. I spent so long trying to optimise the code that I'm loathed to add anything that might slow down even slightly the Z80 execution loop. Hence the raw memory dump route... Could also work on the save functionality to create audio output to be saved for loading on a real ZX81.
kpalser

Post by kpalser »

:oops: I've just had to resubmit again to Apple because the Software Farm game in-app purchases were not correctly linked in the first submission request even though the files and app logic are correct... It will take about 4 days to get this straightened out with Apple. In the meantime I hope there aren't any negative reviews. Tempted to take it temporarily off the store.
chernandezba

Post by chernandezba »

Great job!

Tried on iPad and works perfect
----

ZEsarUX
ZX Second-Emulator And Released for UniX
https://github.com/chernandezba/zesarux
Paul

Post by Paul »

Tried on iPhone 5 and couldn't install.
It's not compatible. :(
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
kpalser

Post by kpalser »

Tried on iPhone 5 and couldn't install. It's not compatible
Consider this the stock answer ( also see the FAQ in http://zx81-ios.weebly.com ):

The irony of not supporting older devices for an emulator of an old computer is not lost on the developer.

The short answer: No plans to support anything below the 64bit processor of an iPhone 5S on the app store.

The longer answer: Apple does not provide many developer options to specify which devices are not supported. So before iOS 10 the only way to stop iPhone 4S and below users downloading the app was to add the minimum requirement of a 64bit processor. When iOS 10 came out this was less of a problem, i.e. iPhone 5/5c and above. However, emulators tend to be heavy on the processor and drain the battery very quickly on slower devices. It would be technically possible to compile a version for the iPhone 5 but it saves a lot of headaches to just look to the future.

-------

@Paul, if you're really keen to see it on your iPhone 5 send me your UDID and I'll build you an adhoc version to test and send feed back.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Have just downloaded it to an iPad mini. Great work :D 8-)

Where's the like button when you need it...

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

One small question, I know a real ZX81 does not have a reset button, but is there a reset available in your emulator?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.