ZX81 emulator for iOS

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
PokeMon

Re: ZX81 emulator for iOS

Post by PokeMon »

I don't understand that. Let's say a .p file is only data from view of an Apple device because it can not be executed on the phone. The emulator reads this data and does something with it. A .p file is not executable code, it is by the way interpreted from the emulator only. There is no difference than reading a jpeg file and putting it to screen or showing an incoming message.

With a browser you have access to potentially much more dangerous "data". So is an academical discussion in my eyes. Why not treat a .p file simply as data. In fact most of it isn't executable code while it is a BASIC structure only and I don't think that there is any smartphone outside understanding and executing Z80 code. :shock:
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

PokeMon wrote:I don't understand that. Let's say a .p file is only data from view of an Apple device because it can not be executed on the phone.
It makes no sense. It's just Apple's politics. It has been worse. To start with, no emulators were allowed. Currently emulators are allowed, but only with built-in apps. Politics. :cry:
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
kpalser

Post by kpalser »

It makes no sense. It's just Apple's politics.
There's some logic to Apple's developer rules. They want to maintain control and avoid scenarios where:
- they loose control, i.e. anyone running apps within apps that have not been approved and cannot be monetised by Apple.
- they could encourage people trying through free experiments to break the sandboxed environment (impossible with my app but Apple cannot invest time confirming this case by case)

Obviously JS in browsers has to be a big exception otherwise they would be unusable with modern webpages.

As Martin points out it has been more restrictive in the past. If we don't like it then there's always Android (written tongue in cheek).
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

When we started developing a companion app to our main product at work we went with a cross platform (so we have one version that runs on iOS and Android. And Windows!!! :lol: ) web app development system which effectively is a scripted device and there were some questions about whether Apple would allow that!

We are not allowed to change functionality with internal updates (even though it would be possible to replace individual scrips for forms etc.) and have to repackage the whole thing for them to test every time we want to make a change. This causes major problems for us when our customers ignore us and upgrade the companion app before the main app and it no longer works...
Of course it is easy to roll back an upgrade on iOS. Oh wait...
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

kpalser wrote: As Martin points out it has been more restrictive in the past.
This doesn't make it any better. Apples strategy is quite dumb and you can not test a complex application thoroughly with simple usage tests. It would be the same if I have a photo editor and would be allowed to edit the in-app-delivered photos only. This is just data. What if somebody finds a way to execute a jpg image which doesn't show any senseful objects but contains executable code ? How would you prevent this ?

If we are talking about security we have to take care, that "data" can never be executed as an application. If you can assure that, than it is absolutely unimportant what kind of data you use. If you can not assure that, then any application is unsure und has possibly evil potential. So it is just the wrong strategy or focus of the test team. Quite naive.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

We all agree with you, but none the less it's Apple's decision.
Martin
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

mrtinb wrote:And support for a Bluetooth keyboard as well.
The Bluetooth keyboard works until you load a program. Then the keyboard does not work any more. To make the keyboard work again, you have to force-quit the application and start again.
Martin
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

As I understand it, Bluetooth keyboards only send key down information, and not key released information.... :(

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
kpalser

Post by kpalser »

mrtinb wrote:The Bluetooth keyboard works until you load a program. Then the keyboard does not work any more. To make the keyboard work again, you have to force-quit the application and start again.
Woops. Well I've ordered a bluetooth keyboard to investigate further and replicate this issue. Should have a fix in place for the release next month. Thanks for reporting! Does it happen when ever the computer gets reset? i.e. the reset option or changing the ROMs in settings?
1024MAK wrote:As I understand it, Bluetooth keyboards only send key down information, and not key released information.... :(
Yes, Jonathan Needle mentions their unsuitability for games: http://www.spectaculator.com/ios-support/

Kevin
zx83

Post by zx83 »

Nice App and I'm pleased to see the ZX80 support but was thrown by the ZX81 key legends. Any chance of switching to a ZX80 layout when that ROM is selected, please?