ZX81 assembler development on Linux

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
bru65pag

ZX81 assembler development on Linux

Post by bru65pag »

Good morning,

I recently got rid of Windows on my home computer, and I am now happily running Ubuntu. I used to use ZX-IDE with EightyOne on Windows. I am now using Notepadqq (for editing), PASMO (for assembling) and ZEsarUX (for emulating) on Linux. Works well, even if I miss the integrated environment that ZX-IDE was providing.

One of the annoyances I'm running into with PASMO is the lack of a mode similar to the LISTING mode I could find on ZX-IDE. I can certainly generate a table of symbols with PASMO, but it does not come close to the usefulness of seeing my program in Z80 mnemonics next to the generated hexdecimal codes and the memory addresses locations. It became a handicap the other day when I wanted to start my assembly program at an address which is not at 16514 (usual address for a 16K ZX81). The only solution i could find was to put a label where i want to start my program, generate the symbol table, and go back to my program afterward to replace 16514 with whatever the symbol table gave me:
basic_0010: defb 0,10 ; 10 RAND VAL "USR 16522"
defw basic_0020-basic_0010-4
defb _RAND,_VAL,_DQT,_USR,_1,_6,_5,_2,_2,_DQT
Quite a heavy process...

Did one of the PASMO users came up with a lighter solution already? Or do I have a way to refer to my label where I want to start in the generated BASIC line (like what TASM allows me to do in ZX-IDE)?

Thanks in advance. Bruno.
nollkolltroll

Re: ZX81 assembler development on Linux

Post by nollkolltroll »

I simply run ZX-IDE and EO with Wine in Linux Mint. It's not right but it works great.
/Adam
bru65pag

Post by bru65pag »

Thanks Adam. Yes, I thought about it and will pick this solution as a last resort. I like notepadqq for editing and ZEsarUX for emulating, so if I can manage to use PASMO properly, i'll stick to this solution.

Of course, I could also use TASM, the assembler used by ZX-IDE, on linux. It might solve my problem (unless what I am asking for is done by ZX-IDE itself). But I noticed that Bob, from Bob's stuff - seen by me as THE ZX81 assembler development MASTER :-) - is listing PASMO on his site, and thought it would be nice to use the same assembler (I know, childish ;-)).
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Well - I have not so much time to work on the ZX-IDE. So just a WIN version is existing now, derived from the flatassembler by Tomasz Grysztar. Using a compiler, assembler is something influenced mainly from personal preferences but the integration of assembly and BASIC instructions in one tool would be a good benefit for you.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

I like to use BRASS, run under mono on OSX. Should be the same on Linux proper. It's like a more modern TASM and indeed it is totally compatible with and inspired by the venerable not-actually-free-but-everyone-thinks-it-is staple :lol:
swensont

Post by swensont »

For Linux, I use sz81. I find it fast and easy to use with a little GUI that lets me quickly select the file I want to load. The latest version of sz81 support HRG graphics. For ASM I do use Pasmo, but I've not attempted the listing that you are talking about. For doing BASIC programming, I use zxtext2p that I've compiled from source. For editing, I was using Leafpad until they finally fixed gedit with the last release of Lubuntu.

If need be, I can run EightyOne using Wine and TASM with DosBox, but I prefer to stay with native Linux programs.
marste

Post by marste »

I'm also linux based, and after the release of the z80 includes for fasmg (if you don't know read about this really "new generation" assembler) I ported to this platform my Super Micro Chess serie (and also implemented for ZX80). So my toolchain is notepadqq+fasmg+zesaurux

You can find my "starter" files and the include for obtaining the listing at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2349

The only thing I still used windows if for the nasty debugging (and for this I used no$zx and eightyone)...