sz81 is a Sinclair ZX80/81 emulator very much based upon the work of Ian Collier's xz80 and Russell Marks's z81 but employing the highly portable SDL and including additional functionality and features for desktop computers and portable devices.
Features in 2.1-5
- Virtual keyboard with adjustable opacity, autohide on newline, sticky shift or toggle shift
- Control bar with access to several regularly used options
- Full mouse/stylus and joystick support throughout
- Runtime joystick control remapping
- The ability to run centred within any resolution
- Runtime switchable scaling up to 3x on supported platforms
- Toggling between a window and fullscreen on supported platforms
- Support for portrait orientated screens such as 240x320 and 480x640
- Maximum porting potential since it only requires SDL
Porting to Other Platforms
This project requires SDL only, runs centred within any resolution, can be scaled-up up to 3x, can be operated entirely with a mouse/stylus or joystick and therefore will port to many different platforms and devices.
The only thing remaining to be done to get this fully functioning on anything and everything is OSS (Open Sound System - Unix-like OS sound) to SDL API conversion which I am attempting now.
Near Future To-Do
Runtime options such as a graphical joystick configurator for desktop computers and a save-state system are new features that are noticeably needed, but if you have some portable suggestions then feel free to add a feature request on the project's support pages.
Screenshots | Downloads | Project Page