EightyOne Source

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
MikeW

EightyOne Source

Post by MikeW »

Hi guys

I guess most people won't remember, but I originally started writing the EightyOne emulator on an old Windows 2000 compaq laptop while in between jobs. When people started asking for the source and because I'd moved to an Apple MacBook it was easier to give them a virtual disk image with everything already configured. They could just boot the image and get coding. I remember sending this image to several people.

Anyway, recently I started using eightyOne again and found a few things I'd like to change. While I still have the source and should still have the old hard drive from my MacBook with the dev environment on, I'd have to search dozens of drives stacked up in my cellar. This of course would only get me V1.0a again.

I can't promise I'm able to contribute anything any more (If you didn't know i had a stroke a few years back) but I'd love to get hold of the dev environment again with the latest source, if anyone can send me a copy?

Thanks
Mike
REX LIES IN WAIT
Paul

Re: EightyOne Source

Post by Paul »

Hello Mike,
Nice to read from you.

I hope you recovered from the stroke as good as possible.
Your eightyone can be found here;
https://sourceforge.net/projects/eighty ... -emulator/
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

I don't think anyone recovers completely from a stroke.

It's been around 9 years now and I still struggle with some things. When I first had the stroke, I couldn't read at all - I had to rely on a screen reader program but now I've re-taught myself somewhat, to the point where it's now quicker to read myself than use the screen reader.

When I first had the stroke, looking at a block of text was like looking at random groups of letters. Nothing made any sense and to read a word I had to make the sound of each letter in my head, then build up the word and recognising the work from the way it sounded. I don't have to do that any more but alas still can't really read fluently.

The weird thing is, it's a one way process. I don't have any issue writing.

Just after the stroke, Denise asked me to write a letter for school excusing our son from P.E. I wrote it out, but couldn't read it back at all. When I showed her, there was nothing wrong with it - Even though I knew exactly what it said, I couldn't read what I'd just written...

Still, we progress - I'm now struggling to install C++Builder on Windows Server 2008 lol.
REX LIES IN WAIT
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Oh, this is my current project btw.
IMG_0273.jpeg
Excuse the terrible photography...
REX LIES IN WAIT
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

Welcome back Mike…
;)
Xavier ...on the Facebook groupe : "Zx81 France"(fr)
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello Mike

Yes, the human brain works very differently to how people imagine.

Thank you for your past work on EightyOne 8-)

I hope you are still having fun ;)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
blittled

Post by blittled »

Welcome back Mike! Thank you for all your work on the Eighty One. I enjoy the authenticity of the emulator. It has the look and feel of a real ZX81 right down to the ram pack wobble :) .
2X Timex Sinclair 1000, ZX81, ZX80Core, 5X 16K Ram Pack, ZXBlast, ZX P file to Ear Input Signal Converter, Elf II
bola_dor

Post by bola_dor »

Thank you for your work on EightyOne.
And glad to hear you had a god recovering..
Ernesto
ZX80 USA, ZX81UK, ZX Spectrum, ZX Spectrum+, ZX Spectrum 128+ UK, ZX Spectrum +2/A, Sinclair QL, CZ1000, CZ1500, CZ2000, CZ1000Plus, CZ1500Plus, CZ Spectrum, CZ Spectrum Plus, TK83, TK85, TK90X, TK95. TS2068. And more to come :D
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

Sorry to hear Mike. I just wanted to comment that you did great work with this, and its my favorite emulator

Dave.
Zeddy: ZX80, ZX81/ZXpand, TS1000/ZXpand, TS1500/Zxpand+
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
QL: Minerva/QL-VGA/Custom PSU
C5: 24v, LiFE battery, Disc brakes
stefano

Post by stefano »

Mike,
Thankyou for having shared the EO sources.
You permitted it to evolve.
..it was already close to the perfection, though :D