EO v2.0 - planning stage

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
BarryN

Re: EO v2.0 - planning stage

Post by BarryN »

mrtinb wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:47 am Looking forward to a native Mac app. Please make sure it works with Apple Silicon M1. :-)
I know it's not as nice as EightyOne, but there is 64 bit SZ81, which should run on the Apple M1, though I don't have an M1 to test with.
marste

Post by marste »

Looking forward for finally a native Linux build of EO!! 8-)
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

I've put together a little taster to get peoples opinions on.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZWA2BM ... sp=sharing

As emulators go, it's pretty useless as I haven't implemented any save/load code yet, but opinions on style and appearance would be good...

Mike

Oh, forgot to mention, for the time being it needs all the gnu .dll libraries included and is totally unoptimised - it's a debug build after all.
REX LIES IN WAIT
BarryN

Post by BarryN »

MikeW wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:42 pm I've put together a little taster to get peoples opinions on.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZWA2BM ... sp=sharing

As emulators go, it's pretty useless as I haven't implemented any save/load code yet, but opinions on style and appearance would be good...

Mike

Oh, forgot to mention, for the time being it needs all the gnu .dll libraries included and is totally unoptimised - it's a debug build after all.
How hard do you suppose it would be to build on MacOS? What are the dependancies?
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

My intention is to support Macs, I'm actually using an M1 Macbook Pro to write it - though only in so much as I use my Macbook to remote desktop into the development Win 7 PC in the cellar. I actually chose to target wxWidgets so the program looks native on any platform it's ported to.

But yes, hopefully we will target Mac/Linux/Windows - or anything wxWidgets runs on.
REX LIES IN WAIT
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Hmmm. I'm struggling with a small issue at the moment.

If I enter "PRINT INKEY$", or enter a BASIC program and hit RUN, the ROM gets stuck in a loop at address 0x04CF. Looking at the code it appears the loop exits when an interrupt occurs, but it seems to be getting there when the NMI generator isn't working. It works fine in FAST mode, but not SLOW. I don't know if it's always been there or I've recently introduced it, as I can enter a listing as long as I want, so long as I don't do anything that scans the keyboard...

Think I'll go to bed and sleep on it.
REX LIES IN WAIT
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

I guess we're well past the planning stage now.

I've put together another build at

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K5x0P1 ... sp=sharing

The accuracy seems significantly better than the original EightyOne - I just needs all the features now. The tape handling code is a bit roapy, just good enough so I can load programs to test the emulation. And better still, it doesn't look like it was built for Windows 2000 (Which the original was, btw).

Mike
REX LIES IN WAIT
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

I've decided the put weekly builds on my google drive, mainly for myself to show how progress is developing...

This weeks build is at

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wBJjZf ... sp=sharing
(Both source and compiled code is included in the zip)

I think this is the first week it's actually usable as an emulator...

Mike
REX LIES IN WAIT
marste

Post by marste »

Tried to test a compilation on Linux but after installing codeblocks and configuring build with "wx-config --cxxflags" and "wx-config --libs" for some reasons the wxwidgets variable __WINDOWS__ still remains set and it tries to load wx/msw/libraries.h that is not found on my system (should be probably just on windows systems).
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

marste wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:21 am Tried to test a compilation on Linux but after installing codeblocks and configuring build with "wx-config --cxxflags" and "wx-config --libs" for some reasons the wxwidgets variable __WINDOWS__ still remains set and it tries to load wx/msw/libraries.h that is not found on my system (should be probably just on windows systems).
At the moment, the render engine still uses Windows GDI. Once the emulation is complete, I'll work on porting the (tiny) machine specific parts.

I haven't been well the past couple of weeks, so haven't really done a much as I'd have likes. However, here's my weekly update:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NDN4dr ... sp=sharing
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-09-13 at 12.28.14.jpg
REX LIES IN WAIT