Advice on Compiling EightyOne to Run on a Pi4B?

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
Flatulentia

Advice on Compiling EightyOne to Run on a Pi4B?

Post by Flatulentia »

Hi,

I'd love to be able to run EightyOne on my 4GB Raspberry Pi Model 4 B. I don't know whether this is possible or even how to go about compiling it for ARM. If there's already a Pi-compatible ARM binary kicking around somewhere (I've looked but can't find one) or someone would like to guide me with compiling it I'd be very grateful.

I will ask on the official Raspberry Pi forum if I get no joy here, but they're a grumpy bunch of sods in general so I'd rather try here first. :lol:

TIA.
ZX81 with ZiLOG Z84 CMOS Z80, 32KB battery-backed Toshiba 55257 SRAM with charge status LED, Wilf's "Why Wait?" mod and switch-mode 5V regulator. 50/60Hz mode switch, composite video output with Zigg's back porch mod and 1080p60 HDMI output.
mrtinb

Re: Advice on Compiling EightyOne to Run on a Pi4B?

Post by mrtinb »

I believe the source is for Windows. The Windows APIs are not available in Linux.

There is software called Wine which is Windows APIs for Linux. However these are for the x86 architechture and not ARM.

So you have 2 problems.
  • EightyOne is for Windows not Linux
  • Wine is x86 not ARM
If you find a solution, then please share.

However I think you need to find an emulator for Linux e.g. SZ81 or ZEsarUX.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
Flatulentia

Re: Advice on Compiling EightyOne to Run on a Pi4B?

Post by Flatulentia »

Thank you Martin. I had a feeling it must be more complicated than it seemed for there not to be an ARM binary kicking around already. I'll take a look at your suggestions.

EDIT: I've just installed that Earhole thing that I can't pronounce and it's working very well. Thanks for the heads-up.

Installation instructions for a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B are here...

https://www.linuxlinks.com/raspberry-pi ... mputers/3/
ZX81 with ZiLOG Z84 CMOS Z80, 32KB battery-backed Toshiba 55257 SRAM with charge status LED, Wilf's "Why Wait?" mod and switch-mode 5V regulator. 50/60Hz mode switch, composite video output with Zigg's back porch mod and 1080p60 HDMI output.