Compiling the EIghtone emulator

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
zsolt

Re: Compiling the EIghtone emulator

Post by zsolt »

Hi Mike,
Nice to meet (read) you! :D Many thanks for this excellent software, it was a really great help for me in the past year.
Zsolt
ZX81 (8K), ENTERPRISE 128, [ZX SPECTRUM (48K,+,+128K,+2,+2A), TS1000, TS1500, TS2068, Cambridge Z88, PRIMO A64 (red)]
iturbez

Post by iturbez »

Hi, Mike.

I want to thank the wonderful program you did. Glad you are with us.

Greetings from Spain.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

My, my, my, what a lot of thank you's :D

My laptop died which was my main windoze machine not long after I put EO on it :evil: (hardware fault so EO is in the clear). I am now using a Linux OS on the tower that is currently my main PC, but have not yet got around to "installing" any emulators on it so far.

Anyway, many thanks for developing and letting all the mad, sorry good people here loose with it. Much appreciated :D

I do hope you overcome illness soon and return to being well again.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
lengro

Post by lengro »

MikeW wrote:Suffice to say, despite being seriously ill over the past year or so, I'm still here :)
Mike,

best wishes for your health, and thank you for EightyOne!
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

1024MAK wrote:My, my, my, what a lot of thank you's :D

My laptop died which was my main windoze machine not long after I put EO on it :evil: (hardware fault so EO is in the clear).
I do hope you overcome illness soon and return to being well again.
By coincidence, my day job is repairing laptop motherboards... honest, EO wasn't a big ploy to make work for myself :D

Healthwise, I had a stroke. So, I guess it's not so much returning to being well, as re-learning things we all take for granted. For a time last year I couldn't read - it's weird explaining to people that you have a masters degree but can't read. What even weirder, was that not being able to read was purely a visual thing... I knew how to spell words, I knew how to write them but just didn't recognise them when I saw them. I could write someone myself, and despite writing it perfectly, not be able to read it back. But as they say, things can only get better - and they have...
REX LIES IN WAIT
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

MikeW wrote:For a time last year I couldn't read - it's weird explaining to people that you have a masters degree but can't read. What even weirder, was that not being able to read was purely a visual thing... I knew how to spell words, I knew how to write them but just didn't recognise them when I saw them. I could write someone myself, and despite writing it perfectly, not be able to read it back.
This may surprise many, but we humans still have a lot to learn about how the brain works.
Many parts of the brain work both separately and together to produce what we consider normal brain function.
Switch off one area and the effects can be very strange indeed.

The industry that I work in did some research (in response to an accident) into how the human vision system works. Did you know that when driving you typicality look at an object or area once every 3 to 7 seconds, as your eye darts about looking at different things, even when you think you are looking straight ahead? The brain forms a mental image of the outside world and only updates it when your eye sees something new.

Mike, I take it that your brain is re-routing and relearning and you are heading in the right direction :D
Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Without elaborating too much Mike I know only too well what You are going through, it does get better with time and if I may offer some advice it would be to let it all come back naturally.
Don't rush things and be glad of what returns and not mourn what's lost.

Regards.

Moggy.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Thanks guys - it does mean a lot to me...
Mike, I take it that your brain is re-routing and relearning and you are heading in the right direction
For me reading has become an aural thing. Lots of words I don't recognise anymore. However, by reading the word and making the sound of it in my head, I recognise the way it sounds, thus recognising the word itself. Initially I'd have to do this with almost every word I came to. Now I'm down to maybe 10% of words. It may not be the fastest method of reading, but it's better than not being able to read at all ;)
The industry that I work in did some research (in response to an accident) into how the human vision system works. Did you know that when driving you typicality look at an object or area once every 3 to 7 seconds, as your eye darts about looking at different things, even when you think you are looking straight ahead? The brain forms a mental image of the outside world and only updates it when your eye sees something new.
You probably know more about how my vision works (or doesn't work) than me. Initially I lost around 40% of my sight - I couldn't see any of my peripheral vision to the left... I could see straight ahead just fine, but to the left, nothing at all. That's got a lot better - now I have a vertical stripe to the left where I can't see, between my peripheral vision and what I'm looking at. Further to the left I see just fine. Despite only losing maybe 5% if my vision, it's weird how it can screw up simple stuff like calculaying/expected perspect - walking through a doorway, I expected to be able to go through just fine buy madly miscalculated the perspect lol.

Like I said, things get better all the time though. I don't know if my brain is actually getting better, or I'm just getting used to how it is now - maybe it's a combination of both.
Without elaborating too much Mike I know only too well what You are going through, it does get better with time and if I may offer some advice it would be to let it all come back naturally.
Don't rush things and be glad of what returns and not mourn what's lost.
Thanks Moggy. Honestly, my only real issues are problems with my sight, my reading, and permanent pins 'n needles in my foot. Things could have been a whole lot worse. There are times when I feel like a fraud - when health care professionals call me asking what help I need and so forth... maybe I'll tell you guys of the Benny Hill like night I spent escaping from hospital with the security guards chasing me lol.

Mike
REX LIES IN WAIT