Eighty One and Windows 8

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
Bill H

Eighty One and Windows 8

Post by Bill H »

If no one has tested it yet, I just did and EightyOne runs just fine under Windows 8. I was even able to pin it to the Metro interface, though it will kick over to the desktop to run. I had to run 1st time as an administrator and go through all of the "do you trust this software" prompts the first time but not afterwards.

Bill H
sirmorris

Re: Eighty One and Windows 8

Post by sirmorris »

Cool! That's good to know :D
Bill H

Post by Bill H »

Learned that Jeff Vavasour's ts1000-c will not run under windows 7 (it is 16 bit) but will run under windows 8 (they brought back 16 bit support) - but it will not run all the way cause you can not do full screen in the windows 8 desktop :(

I always liked this emulator, always seemed to be the closest one to the real thing
swensont

Post by swensont »

Another way to run DOS programs (ts1000 & Xtender) is to use DOS-BOX. I'm doing with under Windows XP and under Linux. Should work the same under other versions of Windows.

Tim Swenson
Bill H

Post by Bill H »

swensont wrote:Another way to run DOS programs (ts1000 & Xtender) is to use DOS-BOX. I'm doing with under Windows XP and under Linux. Should work the same under other versions of Windows.

Tim Swenson
I just verified that DosBox will runder Windows 8 on the dexktop so TS1000-c.exe also runs there!

Bill H
Bill H

Post by Bill H »

Figured out a simple solution to remembering how TS1000-c.exe maps the keyboard and what keys do what:

I took an old bad membrane, used a hair dryer to seperate the printed layer, trimed the keys and krazy glued them to the keyboard.

:)

Bill H
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Classic!!
Bill H

Post by Bill H »

It wasn't till afterwards that I thought I should have done it to a USB keyboard :)
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Crazy stuff! 8-)

At last, a real use for those worn-out or broken membranes :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
SafePit

Post by SafePit »

Bill H wrote:Figured out a simple solution to remembering how TS1000-c.exe maps the keyboard and what keys do what:

I took an old bad membrane, used a hair dryer to seperate the printed layer, trimed the keys and krazy glued them to the keyboard.

:)

Bill H
OMG! That picture just put a big smile on my face!!!! :D The fact that you used a "real" membrane keyboard and didn't just photocopy a picture just proves how "hard core" you are! :lol: