I suspect some of the internal game logic was "just working" in the earlier versions.
Funny but possibly improved later, in the ZX81 version in 1983. BTW I hope that the visual part is now good, though.
As said already, to run it 32K are required.
- (21.51 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
- (21.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
- (21.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
- (21.36 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
The game logic seems to act like the original so all good there. The only "glitch" I could see is that sometimes when when drilling, instead of a report like "Limestone " or "cap rock" found, the entry is blank but apart from that all seems ok.
I especially like the fact it doesn't take all day to set up the geo-graphics at the beginning like the original ZX81 version does and the hi-res is quite nice too.
An excellent version of this simulation in my opinion so well done Stefano.
I noticed the glitch, it can be easily solved by setting a default comment, but I tried to faithfully rebuild the sequential code of the original program, thus it simply shouldn't happen
An original oddity of the game is related to the possibility to pay small activities even when your cash gets negative. you can't invest on a Rafinery or pipes, but you can still drill, etc.
The zx spectrum had sound and colours, I'll try.
The geological structure build phase includes a pause, to make the text readable
In general a little more speed can be gathered, e.g. by optimizing the lower display area cleanup, but making the player suffer a little adds the same thrill of those unexpected events where thing happen preventing any kind of action in the meanwhile
The drill phase seems to be able to occasionally revert to a previous stage too.
I'm not adding those extra features at the moment but I could spot the bug sometimes hiding the messages related to the "core sample".
I'm also trying to pick the existing French translation and add a fourth language option
The probability balance looks very close but is different on the zx81 (at least the 1983 version).
My conversion is in C, thus quite portable. I ported it to the Commodore 128 (z80, udg, no graphics but sound and colours) .. it's kinda nice!
The original BASIC program was "obfuscated" in several ways, some are simply bugs, probably consequent of the obfuscation mess Other are clever tricks permitting also to save memory, some are dead ends.. I suspect the programmer had initially the intention to have a smart opponent, there is a couple of vectors with a 2 values DIMension, always used only in the first position (as simple variables)..
..should someone like to have it built for other configurations, (text only, other graphics cards..) just ask.
There is also space for Chroma81 or sound.