dr beep wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:45 am
juzzo72 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:27 am
hi, what is your best game for zx81 16k? no HI-RES or CHROMA
maurizio
That depends on what you define as best
1) most downloaded
2) most time needed to code
3) most action in amount of memory

I myself think that my best game is THE EDGE, a 1K hires cardgame like PATIENCE.
Due to the fact that it has hires cards on the display, making the display was hard enough,
but adding all the rules and counting in the game was a hell of a job to do and almost impossible.

So this is my own personal opinion, but someone else might go for 2PAXMAN or LODE RUNNER or any sportsim in 1K hires.
3) most action in amount of memory
and
thanks
dr beep

Re: new game ZX81 - TERRA 81

Post by dr beep »

juzzo72 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:33 pm 3) most action in amount of memory
Even this is open for debate.
CALCULUS MAZXIMUS is doing a lot of calculations to get to the closest number where the action from the player is
using your own brain.

IRON ZXLIDER has a nice effect during the game where the entire screen is bumping up and down.
Great effect for the player, but a simple coding trick to make it work.

PATHMAZE, ZNAKE and MINESWEEPER store a lot of info and still have an almost full screen in just 1K.

LODE RUNNER has 2 versions with each 75 levels of gameplay in 16K.

LINGO/WORDLE has 250 words in 1K.
I have 2 projects that used a lot of time.
1 is still not finished. I started it in 2011, had a major bug that resolved in 2016 and after that still dorment due to how I had the original idea. I can't really remember how it should be done.

Other project that I DID finish costed me 2.5 years to make the final version.
I started coding a ZX81 emulator for the 48K ZX Spectrum in 1994 and it was released in april 1997 in Mönchengladbach (Germany). I started the emulator 3 times over to make it faster eachg time.

In 2006 I had an idea how to make it faster once again, but the time it would take kept me from coding it.

In 2020 I found the incentive to do it. My 1K lowres games use several tricks that were not available in the 1997 version. With new compilingmethods I could recode a new/faster/better version in just a few months.
bobs

Re: new game ZX81 - TERRA 81

Post by bobs »

Curious to know what happens to this project, as the kickstarter has now finished and the project wasn’t funded?