Jim Bagley's ZX81 Racing

General games-related topics
Shaun_B

Re: Jim Bagley's ZX81 Racing

Post by Shaun_B »

As soon as I think I'm doing well, someone pops by and beats my score!!! I'm not sleeping tonight until I get a time of 1:26 or under :twisted:

Regards,

Shaun.
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Wel i played it, then i played it some more, tried a different track, i just can't get the hang of going round those damn corners !
This is pretty impressive stuff , i really like the driving on ICE physics :D

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

I've spotted another bug (at least, this happens on Spud81) - sometimes, when playing on the Speed Race mode, the lap counter occasionally counts one back at random moments. So, my time might be consistently under 1:30 ;-)

Edit: Seems to happen when you hit the track border once too often, ie, when you're struggling to straighten up after a bump... unless this isn't a bug and it's another feature for punishment if you're not good enough?

Regards,

Shaun.
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Well, at least I will sleep tonight :-)

Regards,

Shaun.
Attachments
My new fastest lap time.
My new fastest lap time.
Sleep.png (8.29 KiB) Viewed 4090 times
Baggers

Post by Baggers »

yerzmyey wrote:Baggers:

good God, I didn't know You're a celebrity/legend in ZX Spectrum world, man. I would address You "mister" or something. :)

My never-ending respect anyway. Especially for "Midnight Resistance" (and not only).

I hope that's not the last game for ZX81 from You.
This machine is surely a great game-platform (and with ZXpand joystick - even better).
Thanks yerzmyey :)

Baggers or Jim will do, don't need a mister! haha

I'm glad you liked my Midnight Resistance port :D I really enjoyed doing that and Cabal.

Don't worry this won't be the last game for ZX81 :D I've quite enjoyed programming on it again, after all these years, especially now that I know kung fu, I mean assembler :D
Baggers

Post by Baggers »

@fatbob_gb, Nice one! :D excellent first go!

@sirmorris, keep trying, it'll come eventually :D

@Andy Rea, Thanks :D glad you like the ICE physics! I wanted it to be slippy for power sliding sideways around the corners at the higher speed :D and the faster your speed is, the slippier it gets!

@Shaun_B, thanks for the feedback, I'll have a look into fixing that also, cheers!
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Hi Jim,

Once you've fixed the bugs, perhaps do a sequel of sorts in which you get cash to spend on upgrading your car for each achievement. For instance, each track completed in under 2 minutes will get you £200, complete all tracks in under 1m30s, you get £500, complete 10 laps on survival and get more £££ etc...

Then you can customise your car from a basic (say max speed is 192Mph, not so good tires) to up to 248Mph and have a choice of tires: extra slick, extra grippy etc...

Once you've completed so many achievements, you can add in weather conditions to the track: say default is rainy track; after X achievements, you get the choice of rainy or dry, and then after so many others, you can choose ice or snow too :-)

Just some ideas to throw in... and I'm going to try and beat your time too ;-)

Regards,

Shaun.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

I see possibilities to fit track 1 in 1K with some altered corners but still...
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

dr beep wrote:I see possibilities to fit track 1 in 1K with some altered corners but still...
:shock: !!! Sounds good to me :-)

Regards,

Shaun.
Baggers

Post by Baggers »

dr beep wrote:I see possibilities to fit track 1 in 1K with some altered corners but still...
Go for it ;D if you think you can fit it in.
PS, did you get the PM I sent you?