Adventure 'A' - Planet Of Death

General games-related topics
stefano

Adventure 'A' - Planet Of Death

Post by stefano »

This game by Artic Computing is a piece of history.
Details can be found everywhere on the WEB, so I'm focusing on the only informations related to my improvements.
The original game was written for both the ZX80 expanded with 16K and new ROM and ZX81 with 16K.
Tape SAVE and LOAD options were missing (they came only with the ZX Spectrum conversion) and the display was horribly flashing because, to keep the ZX80 compatibility, it was running in FAST mode. (Perhaps in those crazy times someone even tried to explain it saying it was useful for fast typing..)

Well, believe it or not this very odd adventure, weak under several aspects, was disassembled and rewritten in C,
This permitted it to become portable, so here it is back on the ZX80 (native ROM) and ZX81 (slow mode) :D

Good news are that the new console drivers are faster and smoother (I'm particularly proud of the ZX80 version), that the WRX HRG version features uppercase and lowercase and that a fast tape save option is now supported. Working on the data relocation it should be possible to add also the vector graphics in the WRX HRG version .. well if someone is interested and Siggi will help a bit ;)
stefano

ZX81 version

Post by stefano »

This is the standard text mode. It should be totally flicker free.
The tape SAVE and LOAD subroutines could surprise some of you, just listen to the sound ;)
Attachments
adv_a.p
Planet Of Death - ZX81, standard text mode
(14.16 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
stefano

WRX mode, upper/lowercase text

Post by stefano »

WRX HRG version.. tape save/load is enabled
32K and the WRX mod are required.
Attachments
hrg-adv_a.p
Planet Of Death - ZX81, HRG text
(15.8 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
stefano

ZX80 version

Post by stefano »

See how smooth can be the text editing even in FAST mode !
Delete key is 'left cursor'
Attachments
adv_a.o
(13.22 KiB) Downloaded 1100 times
siggi

Re: Adventure 'A' - Planet Of Death

Post by siggi »

stefano wrote: .. well if someone is interested and Siggi will help a bit ;)
Siggi will help (if time is available), but a working z88dk would also be nice (currently nightly builds fail) ...

;-)
Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
stefano

Post by stefano »

I hope the only failing component is z80asm, which is revisited trying to get some more magic we dreamt about for years.
You might switch to the 'stable' copy still present in the source tree or to keep your last working copy, or simply bear with us a little more. The problem to solve is that I should move the data to the upper memory block to get enough space for the extra elements, perhaps This perhaps can be done adding a header block to load the data and to force the program block to refer to it.. well I think I'm able to do it myself but I'd like to know if there's a simpler way, just in case..
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

This is excellent - it was my first foray into adventure gaming back in the day !!

ZX80 owners will also be pleased.

Keep up the good work. :)
oscar

Post by oscar »

RWAP wrote:This is excellent - it was my first foray into adventure gaming back in the day !!
It was my first adventure as well. I'm looking forward to downloading this and playing it this weekend.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

I'm really pleased that the zx81 and zx80 are getting so much love from the z88dk team! Thanks :D
stefano

Post by stefano »

It couldn't be different, the zx81 lovers have always been so enthusiast! When we weren't fully confident on what we could get, we were encouraged even with gifts.. Thanks to you all !