Ideas requiring Zxpand...

General games-related topics
nollkolltroll

Ideas requiring Zxpand...

Post by nollkolltroll »

When building HW for our beloved ZX81, I also think a lot.
One of the realisations I recently made is that with Zxpand it is now possible to quite easily make graphical adventures like Myst. Complex still images loaded from SD, with text and command-line input. BASIC or C makes it really easy to make huge and interesting games. The coding does not have to be top-notch for this, but pictures and story need to stand out. Pictures could even use higher resolutions, like 320x240 in 4 flickering greyscales. Just need time and a good story...

Another way to utilise the (fast) mass storage of Zxpand is to have game-screens loaded for each scene, like in the old Sierra games. Kings Quest on a ZX81 :D More complex coding, but I think quite doable, at least if using a widescreen resolution like 256x128 to free up some cycles to the game logic. The 32k memory is there.

Anyone have an army of gnomes that could realise these ideas? I'd happily be project managing :)
/Adam
sirmorris

Re: Ideas requiring Zxpand...

Post by sirmorris »

There were a couple of 32k only graphical adventures written by Xav which worked well on ZXpand. Something to do in Paris and there was another, IIRC. You might have to search the board.