Challenges for porting 'Thrust' to a ZX81

General games-related topics
palmheads

Challenges for porting 'Thrust' to a ZX81

Post by palmheads »

Hi

What would the challenges in porting thrust to the zx81? Hires or pseudo hires would be a prerequisite I guess

Speccy version here:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0005245

It only had 6 actual screens, although fiendishly difficult they are!

Its such an awesome game though!

cheers
Daryn
bobs

Re: Challenges for porting 'Thrust' to a ZX81

Post by bobs »

The game could be done in either low or hi-red - see my game Impact! (http://www.bobs-stuff.co.uk/impact.html) as an example of a low-res version of Asteriods, which has similar ship control. Hi-res would obviously look nicer, and display the direction of travel better, but that's about it.

As for the game itself the challenge would come from getting the gravity, momentum, and movement of the collected 'orb" correct.
palmheads

Post by palmheads »

Yeah thats a good point Bobs - your game does show that its possible even for the low-res to work. I had always thought in my own mind the need to see whats coming below as you scroll down being quite inportant - the bigger ships, the less cavern walls you'd see. But I can certainly see how its still possible. Food for thought.

Its is a game I've always wanted to try & port, whether or not its too difficult for a first time machine code/assembly game am not sure.

The amazing complex game play given the simple graphics has always been the thing for me with "Thrust". Its a genius game in that regard.

cheers
Daryn
bobs

Post by bobs »

Personally I wouldn't try it as a first-time game, but that depends upon your background, and what you've acchived in assembler for the Zeddy so far. It's good to start with a simpler game - such as Tetris or Space Invaders - but if you have a real love for this game then your enthusiasm can go a long way.