1K Hires games distribution

General games-related topics
dr beep

Re: 1K Hires games distribution

Post by dr beep »

PokeMon wrote:
swensont wrote:The games are surely interesting and the source code is great to have. To encourage others to try this, I think it would be a great idea to have a "dummies" guide to 1K Hires games, showing a simple example of WRX hires, staring from the graphics on graph paper, all the way to coding the graphics and getting it to work. Sort of a cookbook example showing the process from start to finish, using easy, simple, steps so that the rest of "dummies" can see how it works. It would including the different tools that you used in the process (ie. what compiler was used).

Tim
I think you underpredict the hard work and genious intelligence dr. beep put into his programs.
True, a lot of work to make the hiresroutine as you can read in the PDF's.
For this approach you need several skills, need to be an assembly expert, need to know how the video hardware is working, have to count executions cycles of your program or routines,
Counting is relevant for the videoroutines, all videolines must be drawn in 207 Tstates which can be hard.
have to suppress any redundant data/routines, have to know which system variables may be used when and for what.
As stated, make the code run and then find ways to reduce the code. Hunt the Wumpus has no byte left to code due to the stack needed to create the caves.
This is always an excellent job what dr. beep did and you can not just learn to program this style, at least not a dummy or beginner. ;)
Feel free to give ideas for games. I am willing to give my opinion if it might fit 1K.