Post by dr beep »

Let me set some expectations:

It will be lowres.
It will be 1K
It will be fullscreen

The idea:

Do you know the app SANDBOX?
You set all colours to make a picture.
I think I can hide a fullscreen picture that you need to draw. Per character you will get info how many pixels to fill.
You need to figure out which pixels. When ok you can go to next character until you have drawn the picture.

5A6AD872-CC87-49B9-A1B0-4F1915E76761.png
dr beep

Re: New game idea

Post by dr beep »

Well,

initial setup is working.
I needed 16 4 Tstate instructions with bit 6 set that would run but not crash the game.
I have foound these.

With these instructions (a few also used in LODERUNNER) I can store data on screen but not show it.
When your cursor comes to a field below the screen the number of pixels to be set is shown.
You need to draw the number of pixels and also on the right place.
When it is ok you can move to the next field until the whole picture is drawn. That is also end of game.

The game can be coded with all kinds of drawn pictures with PLOT in lowres.
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

dr beep wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:25 pm I needed 16 4 Tstate instructions with bit 6 set that work
It is also possible to used instructions that are more than 4 t states in d-file. As long as scanline timing is maintained.

Regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

Andy Rea wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:37 pm
dr beep wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:25 pm I needed 16 4 Tstate instructions with bit 6 set that work
It is also possible to used instructions that are more than 4 t states in d-file. As long as scanline timing is maintained.

Regards Andy
True,
but the display must be the same when the "hidden" pixels are shown. Therefore it must be 4 on al cases.

At the moment I have the display ok, the plotting. Only thing to do is the test if correct pixels are chosen.
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Ah I understand now why you need 4 t states only.

Keep on coding your stuff is amazing

Regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

So here is the first working version.

1 thing:
not in 1K yet.

Controls
QAOP

Plot with 1,2,3,4

You need to visit each field.
When you see a "*" thee field is ok. When you see a chessboard-cursor you need to set the number of pixels shown above.
After setting the right number of pixels a check is done if they are ok. If not you will see the chessboard again.

When ALL FIELDS are drawn the cursor disappears and only the picture stays on screen.
The game freezes.

Have fun... I am of to making it 1K

EDIT: 1K release now only.
Last edited by dr beep on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

A picture of 18 lines can be drawn in 1K

So make your screen in 60x36 pixels and I can make it your own hidden picture game,
RobertK

Post by RobertK »

Last night I spent almost one hour playing the game on the emulator and still had not revealed half of the picture, so I had to save a snaphot...
The bad thing is that you need a lot of time for this game - but on the other hand, this is unbelievable considering that it is a 1K game!

I think that the game needs more detailed instructions, I fear that many people tried it but didn't know what to do and gave up immediately.
For example, the meaning of the buttons 1-4 (they add the respective graphic character's quarter-pixel to the current character) is not obvious to everybody. And the appearance of the chessboard character is also a little confusing, as you don't see your character anymore and you don't know whether your previously drawn character gets deleted by that or not. Maybe it would help if the currently drawn character could always be displayed also in the top right screen corner (provided that this would fit into 1K).

But great job anyway, I never thought that I could spend so much time with a 1K game!
dr beep wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:39 pmSo make your screen in 60x36 pixels and I can make it your own hidden picture game,
Can we simply provide you a 60x36 monochrome picture file, or do you need some other format (maybe a sequence of ZX81 graphic character codes)?
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

RobertK wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:56 pm Last night I spent almost one hour playing the game on the emulator and still had not revealed half of the picture, so I had to save a snaphot...
The bad thing is that you need a lot of time for this game - but on the other hand, this is unbelievable considering that it is a 1K game!
Well, you can do it in about 10 minutes.
Empty fields are recognized on visit.
For 1 pixel you only need to press 1,2,3 or 4 until asterix appears
For 2 pixels you need to try the most 12, 13, 14, 23, 24 or 34
For 3 pixels you try 123, 124, 134 or 234
For 4 pixels you press all 4 buttons.
I think that the game needs more detailed instructions, I fear that many people tried it but didn't know what to do and gave up immediately.
For example, the meaning of the buttons 1-4 (they add the respective graphic character's quarter-pixel to the current character) is not obvious to everybody. And the appearance of the chessboard character is also a little confusing, as you don't see your character anymore and you don't know whether your previously drawn character gets deleted by that or not. Maybe it would help if the currently drawn character could always be displayed also in the top right screen corner (provided that this would fit into 1K).
This is mentioned in the text on this site by the download.
But great job anyway, I never thought that I could spend so much time with a 1K game!
Solving the 100 levels of POLICE PATROL will take you more time.
I know someone played over a week to finish them all.
dr beep wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:39 pmSo make your screen in 60x36 pixels and I can make it your own hidden picture game,
Can we simply provide you a 60x36 monochrome picture file, or do you need some other format (maybe a sequence of ZX81 graphic character codes)?
[/quote]
I can easily type them in.
From charactercodes I need to make a conversion.
You can also sent an excel file with bits set or unset in a range of fields.