Murgatroyd's Revenge (1982) found and uploaded

General games-related topics
Liveinabin

Murgatroyd's Revenge (1982) found and uploaded

Post by Liveinabin »

Hallo lovely fellow ZX81 users. I'm an infrequent visitor - I think the last time I posted was 8 years ago when several of you good people helped get my 81 back to life. So, by means of recompense, I bear gifts in the shade of a long lost game (I think) Murgatroyd's Revenge.
Bit of backstory if I may...

Like most of you, I got a ZX81 as my first computer. For me it was in 83, at the age of 10 - a second hand one (in it's smart Data 2000 case) with three tapes, one of which was a game called Murgatroyd's Revenge - think of a weaponised, turn based Pac Man and you're pretty close. Anyway, I have many happy memories of playing it with my dad so, when they finally invented the internet, I set about regaining a copy with little success physically or digitally (save a 2000s Spectrum conversion).
Joined eBay in 2000, set up a daily search for 'Murgatroyds' and waited....

17 years later(!!!), it flashed up a find. Couldn't believe it and I bid hard. £120 later (!!!) and it was mine. It even loaded first time!
Only seen one copy since then so I think it's safe to assume that this is hen's teeth rare (although I'm no collector - I just LOVE this game).

Anyway, this weekend I worked out how to convert it to a .p file (do you guys get nervous every time you load one of these tapes, like every time will be the last? It's horrible!) and here it is!!

Please download, distribute, add to torrents, advice me how I can spread it further etc. - I'm a novice at this. I just want to make sure that my favourite ZX81 game is (a) enjoyed by others and (b) not on the endangered list any more.

Here's the dropbox link to the game

and

Here's a link to a zip file containing scans/photos of the inlay/tape and the instruction sheet (of which there is also a .txt file).

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Cheers!
David Exton
RWAP

Re: Murgatroyd's Revenge (1982) found and uploaded

Post by RWAP »

Many thanks - not come across this one before - it is a neat little game

Actual p file is now attached
Attachments
MurgatroydsRevenge.p
(12.76 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
stefano

Re: Murgatroyd's Revenge (1982) found and uploaded

Post by stefano »

Many thanks, I also enjoyed the story you just told us, a friend said that his favourite one on the zx81 was the flight simulator, he and his brother used to share the keyboard (and the fun) and drive the plane together.. those memories are very strong :)