New game - VIRUS - released.

General games-related topics
Moggy

Re: New game - VIRUS - released.

Post by Moggy »

Nice one Bobs :D

Great compression, the levels are much bigger than I expected , will this work on a real zeddy ( I noticed a bit of hi-res after the start menu screen) if so it's going on my games tape pronto.
Looking forward to the next one, great work Bobs.

Regards Moggy
siggi

Post by siggi »

Hi Bob,
one more nice game for our Zeddy :D

The start screen is also very nice. But it is lost, when the game is saved. :o
As I understood, the start screen is not part of the program, but is the initial content of the display file. Right?

So when I want to make a backup-copy (*) of the program, the start screen is lost, because the current content of the display file (the current program state, when I save the program from within the game, or a blank screen, when I save the program from "outside" the game "at command level") is saved to tape.
To solve that problem (and allow to make a full backup of the program incl. start screen), I would add a line (between line 3 and line 4(**)) like:
3.5 IF INKEY$="S" THEN SAVE "VIRUS"

Then, when pressing "S" while loading the program, I could make a backup-copy of the program immediately after start (when the start screen is still valid).

Siggi

(*) e.g. to copy it to MMC card of my web-server-Zeddy

(**) if the program "autoruns" starting after line 3
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
bobs

Post by bobs »

Yup, the game will work on a real ZX81, but not with any high-res memory packs connected - just ram-packs.

The game will also shortly be available on cassette from Cronosoft (http://www.cronosoft.co.uk).
thewiz

Post by thewiz »

To be honest I'm not sure. I like the idea of trying to do something in 3D, either maze based like 3D Monster Maze, or a racing game like OutRun, or maybe a scrolling Shoot 'em-up such as R-Type.

What would you all like to see next?
My vote is for an R-Type shooter. That would be amazing.
Memotech rules
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Incredible work Bobs!

Congratulations. Such high quality. I am seriously impressed!

From the inlay to the title screen to the game - I give it 11/10. And you can quote me on that ;)

+1 for vertical scrolling shooter next though the resolution might be an issue - I'd make do with horizontal 8-)
nama

Post by nama »

Well my thought about 3D vs R-Type shooter is that 3D is always trying to mimic something real, which I don't think the ZX81 will be able to do very well considering it's graphical limitations. My vote would also be for a R-Type shooter which would allow for more creative use of stylized graphics similar to 'Virus'.

Or what about a block game like Pengo or something with Parallax scrolling like Moon Patrol?
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

I've tested the game on a couple of real ZX81s and an old black-and-white, one with a Memopak 16K expansion, and the other with a real Sinclair RAM-Pack and a video inverter. I've not had any problems with it, and it looks quick cool with white on black rather than the standard black on white. Playing it with a real ZX81 keyboard is much more difficult that with an emulator, and I don't have a ZX81 compatible joystick interface :-( so thankfully you've included difficulty selection too. I've got used to the Sinclair cursor keys in the process too, and I've got an old keyboard over-lay which makes things marginally easier. But after this, the original Speccy keyboard is a dream to use, I have to say.

Thanks Bob! Virus rules for sure. Give me the nod and I'll write the review.

Regards,

Shaun.
Thunor

Post by Thunor »

nama wrote:...3D is always trying to mimic something real, which I don't think the ZX81 will be able to do very well considering it's graphical limitations.
I think that the ZX81 could easily manage a simplified Eye of the Beholder clone. What would be really cool -- even if it was just for a demo -- would be to take 3D Monster Maze, add some additional frames and pot plants and replace the T.rex with characters shouting Mein Lieben accompanied by a nice AY version of Horst Wessel Lied :D Seriously though, an EotB clone with some depth would be an interesting and rewarding project to develop for the ZX81.
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

bobs wrote:
nama wrote:So what's next?
Blimey! No rest for the wicked eh? :lol:

To be honest I'm not sure. I like the idea of trying to do something in 3D, either maze based like 3D Monster Maze, or a racing game like OutRun, or maybe a scrolling Shoot 'em-up such as R-Type.

What would you all like to see next?
Out of those three options, I'd go for a scrolly-space-shooter first, a driving game second and a 3D game third.

As for anything else, a 'chunky' version of Pac-Man with the same multi-directional scrolling [as in Virus] would be great!

Regards,

Shaun.
bobs

Post by bobs »

Shaun_B wrote:a 'chunky' version of Pac-Man with the same multi-directional scrolling [as in Virus] would be great!
Now that could be fun!