Games of TRON

General games-related topics
zsolt

Games of TRON

Post by zsolt »

Dear Zeddy Fans,

Winter is coming ;) , so i decided to finish and share my little (1K) projects of past year.

At the end of the summer were broadcasted the "TRON" ('82) and the "TRON: Legacy" (2010).
Of course i wanted to play immediately.
I remembered Andy's program, downloaded it and tried it out - but it was too fast for me. :( Then i played with RobertK's H-Tron, which has reasonable speed but i did not like its 2 buttons control (left/right). :roll:

I checked the source code for both programs and then came up with the idea to rewrite them to 1K, using more comfortable direction and speed control. (and i could also try DrBeep's startup code)
TRONs in 1K
TRONs in 1K
Then i read more about "family tree" of these games and found the root: Blockade ('76) was the 2 players variant, "the first of what would become known as snake games".

So my next step was to create it in 1K, which i did with two kinds of control (2/4 buttons).
I believe the 2 button control is much harder
I believe the 2 button control is much harder
Finally, the "side-cousin" was created, also in two versions (it is my favourite):
Snake in 1K with and without score displaying
Snake in 1K with and without score displaying
Enjoy,
Zsolt
Attachments
GamesOfTRON.zip
Happy New Year!
(49.76 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
ZX81 (8K), ENTERPRISE 128, [ZX SPECTRUM (48K,+,+128K,+2,+2A), TS1000, TS1500, TS2068, Cambridge Z88, PRIMO A64 (red)]
Moggy

Re: Games of TRON

Post by Moggy »

I always had a love for Andy's Tron Trails so many thanks for this Zsolt. :D
RobertK

Post by RobertK »

zsolt wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:54 amThen i played with RobertK's H-Tron, which has reasonable speed
It's unbelievable that you made an 1K version of my game - fantastic job, thanks! I immediately recognized my computer player's AI, that's my baby! ;)
zsolt wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:54 ambut i did not like its 2 buttons control (left/right). :roll:
The reason is that I enjoyed playing "Super Sprint" on the C64 and the ST in the 1980s, so I prefer rotational controls. :D

But that's a good point, this should be configurable. It's the same story as with airplane games: some prefer pilot control (so do I), i.e. Joystick "down" means "up", some normal control.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

I wondered how you stored the snaketrail, but you did with characters what I did with hidden commands.
zsolt

Post by zsolt »

yes, that is the soul of this solution :) - the buffer is (on) the screen (to get game board as big as possible)
ZX81 (8K), ENTERPRISE 128, [ZX SPECTRUM (48K,+,+128K,+2,+2A), TS1000, TS1500, TS2068, Cambridge Z88, PRIMO A64 (red)]
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

zsolt wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:58 am yes, that is the soul of this solution :) - the buffer is (on) the screen (to get game board as big as possible)
I am planning a new version of Snake in lowres (with hidden commands as tail) with a gametwist.
It will be a port of a game I made on the ZX Spectrum.