Cassette60, the reviews.

General games-related topics
JohnsBargs

Re: Cassette60, the reviews.

Post by JohnsBargs »

dr beep wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:46 am Hello to you all....

I notice that my games are downloaded A LOT, all for free, b ut I asked for a nice review of the games which, besides the hilaric videos of Rod Bell seems to stay away.
Sadly I do most of my gaming on Retropie, and absolutely none of your games work on the Retropie ZX81 emulator (a port of EightyOne) :(
Paul

Post by Paul »

Try zesarux instead.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

JohnsBargs wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:42 am

I notice that my games are downloaded A LOT, all for free, b ut I asked for a nice review of the games which, besides the hilaric videos of Rod Bell seems to stay away.
Sadly I do most of my gaming on Retropie, and absolutely none of your games work on the Retropie ZX81 emulator (a port of EightyOne) :(
On EightyOne you need to activeate WRX-hires, so that could be the problem.
JohnsBargs

Post by JohnsBargs »

dr beep wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:55 am

I have it activated. But I gather the problem is that there's no way to set lr-81 to only 1K memory.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

JohnsBargs wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:26 pm
dr beep wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:55 am

I have it activated. But I gather the problem is that there's no way to set lr-81 to only 1K memory.
the games also run on 16K. The RAM-pack then needs to be capable of hires. On an emulator that can't be the problem.
JohnsBargs

Post by JohnsBargs »

dr beep wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:56 pm the games also run on 16K. The RAM-pack then needs to be capable of hires. On an emulator that can't be the problem.
Ah, then I have no idea. But the bottom line is that none of them run :(
TS1000 Library User

Post by TS1000 Library User »

Since Rod did not review all the games I am starting this simple review topic.

You pick a game from the 60 1K games (even now 74 are done, we stay at this link https://www.mediafire.com/file/iyor7x1b ... 0.zip/file)

You play a game and write a small review here in your own comment.
After a review the remaining games are free to pick.
You may write another review when 2 other persons placed a review of a game.
In the end all the games have a small review, extending the views on the games.

Have playfun during these hollidays,
Johan "Dr Beep" Koelman
Very cool 1K games. I was amazed by Qbert in 1K, awesome gameplay and fantastic port!

I also liked the Defender type game, would love to see you create a 16K version of Defender and can't wait to see the new Pacman game you are working on! :)

I downloaded your development kit and tutorial for 1K hi-res and started working with the assembly code in the demo, I need to learn Z80 assembly in addition to the hardware. I know 6809 and 6502 so it is much fun to learn Z80 architecture on minimalist Sinclair hardware!
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

TS1000 Library User wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:06 pm

Very cool 1K games. I was amazed by Qbert in 1K, awesome gameplay and fantastic port!

I also liked the Defender type game, would love to see you create a 16K version of Defender and can't wait to see the new Pacman game you are working on! :)
The pacman game is already available for some time.
TS1000 Library User

Post by TS1000 Library User »

dr beep wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:02 pm
TS1000 Library User wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:06 pm

The pacman game is already available for some time.
Thank you Dr Beep! I just played game #1, love the large retro pixels and originality in this port! :)

I really like the individuality in the different ports of the classics that programmers have brought to the home micros over the years and interesting new takes on them.

I really like the psuedo hi-res port too where the characters break apart a bit when the desired bit patterns are not present and an approximation is substituted, creates a pleasing Walt Disney hand drawn quality on the animation I've never seen on other home computers.