Cassette60, the reviews.

General games-related topics
dr beep

Cassette60, the reviews.

Post by dr beep »

Hello to you all....

I notice that my games are downloaded A LOT, all for free, b ut I asked for a nice review of the games which, besides the hilaric videos of Rod Bell seems to stay away.

Since Rod did not review all the games I am starting this simple review topic.

You pick a game from the 60 1K games (even now 74 are done, we stay at this link https://www.mediafire.com/file/iyor7x1b ... 0.zip/file)

You play a game and write a small review here in your own comment.
After a review the remaining games are free to pick.
You may write another review when 2 other persons placed a review of a game.
In the end all the games have a small review, extending the views on the games.

Have playfun during these hollidays,
Johan "Dr Beep" Koelman
Bukster

Re: Cassette60, the reviews.

Post by Bukster »

I sympathise. I put a lot of effort into my games too and don't get a lot of feedback. Are people interested or not? It's not worth writing new stuff if nobody cares. I'll download your file and have a look.
Bukster

Post by Bukster »

I write a quick review - I choose Game 26, Snake.

This is the classic game where the snake gets longer and longer as you move around the screen. Don't bash into the sides, top or bottom. L starts the game. The controls are Q/A for up/down. O/P for left and right.

There is only you on the field, no rival snake. Action is fast and flicker free. This game is on low res, so not one of Dr Beep's hi res games.

Overall, a good game. One improvement might be to have the screen in inverse video. There is a line at the bottom of the screen so you know where the sides and bottom are, but I did hit the top a few times as it's hard to know where it is.

As always, I would have loved to have had access to these games when I bought home my 1K ZX81. The first computer ever in my parents' house.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

Look Bukster, that makes a review added value.

Unlike what you review the game is hires. This game is coded before I thought of a way to store taildata in lowres on the screen.
So in 2020 I coded another Snake in lowres with taildata in lowres.
To show it is hires a snake passes under, each pass will make the snake grow.

Great pick because I could add extra info about the game.
Only 59 left.... keep coming.
Bukster

Post by Bukster »

My mistake, I thought it was lo res. In any case, a great game especially with only 1K to play with. I'll keep an eye out for two more reviews by anybody else and write another.
dr beep wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:18 am Unlike what you review the game is hires.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Review: Karat 1k

I havn't played many of the 1k games, but one game I come back to again and again: Karat 1k.

I'm quite impressed this i possible in 1k at all.

It's a Bejewled clone, and a fine one.

Use O,P,Q,A to move the cursor around, and press Z to move. The cursor key pressed after Z determines the move.

My new high score:

Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

mrtinb wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:00 pm Review: Karat 1k

I havn't played many of the 1k games, but one game I come back to again and again: Karat 1k.

I'm quite impressed this i possible in 1k at all.

It's a Bejewled clone, and a fine one.
And the beauty.... most of the source is from BUKSTER.
kokkiklhs

Post by kokkiklhs »

I chose nr.20, the famous QBERT, because it's one of my most beloved arcades since I was a child and I enjoy playing it in any flavor... I think it's one of the most influential old arcades and it's been converted/adapted in almost any platform
Of course the 1k Zeddy version is missing the original isometric /pseudo 3D playfield layout, BUT the game is really super-playable and the iconic figure of the main character is perfect for a monochrome adaptation!
And as we all know, playability is what matters the most...

Last but not least, I could never imagine that such a brilliant game could be squeezed in 1k... Perhaps THIS is the smallest Q*BERT port ever??? And it's GOOD, it does have the feeling of the original game...

P.S. How about a "proper" playfield 16k version in the future? :mrgreen:
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

kokkiklhs wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:22 pm I chose nr.20, the famous QBERT
If I must reply to all the requests I am coding until retirement. Rod Bell does make requests too.
If I add saucers on the side and the left right moving baddies on the spheres I must rewrite the entire game.
I was already pleased that I could improve the movement of the snake in the new version (and add the name on top)

3 reviews, first reviewer may again participate!
kokkiklhs

Post by kokkiklhs »

dr beep wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:31 pm
kokkiklhs wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:22 pm I chose nr.20, the famous QBERT
If I must reply to all the requests I am coding until retirement. Rod Bell does make requests too.
Hehe, it is not a request, it is just a thought! I think of giving you ideas to keep or reject for the future, this is of course totally up to you...
I am personally grateful for all the excellent pieces of software that you have already provided, they are extremely valuable additions to the sinclair software library and precious gift to the community...
8-)