The comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition 2021: 25th edition extravaganza!

General games-related topics
TMD2003

Re: The comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition 2021: 25th edition extravaganza!

Post by TMD2003 »

Now, this is intriguing. A ZX80 text adventure? I'll wave this at Rob Edwards when it's done and say "what was your excuse, then?"

Remember the New Blue Challenge, while you're there...
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
TMD2003

Re: The comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition 2021: 25th edition extravaganza!

Post by TMD2003 »

END OF WEEK 33:

It's been a busy week, this one, mainly because it's harvest time. I may not be a farmer, but some of the locals who are farmers took great pleasure in covering me with clouds of dust and husks from their not-at-all-brand-new combine harvesters (although the tractor that rumbled alongside it was a 20-plate, so not brand new but still only a year old) as I was gathering my own harvest. And I give you exhibit A (that's about a third of the total) and exhibit B (also about a third of what I'm going to need when I've got hold of it all). It's all going to be worth it, soon enough. There will be jam, and there will be wine.

{some of this post does not exist}

The good news is that I've had a fourth game from Andy Jenkinson. Codenames is a card-based board game you may have come across; Andy was playing it with his friends over Zoom during the terrible house arrest period of April-May 2020, and this 48K Spectrum simulation is the (very long overdue) result. I've never played the card game so it took a bit of working out - the on-screen instructions are far clearer than the Wikipedia article on the original. The game doesn't decide on your codewords for you and it doesn't keep track of who is playing at that point - that's for the humans to do, while the Spectrum acts as the game board. Think of it like the huge rotating-disc display from Family Fortunes that Bob Monkhouse, Max Bygraves and Les Dennis stood in front of and said "Our survey said..." followed by generic TV quiz show noises.
Last edited by TMD2003 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Crayon21

Post by Crayon21 »

Is political parody ok? Nothing overt would be done :?:
In Heck, there are two options for perpetual torment:

Eat the Puckerberry and suffer for eternity:
drink nothing but a cocktail of The Last Dab and Mexican Cake blended and served with
habanero slices
:twisted:
TMD2003

Post by TMD2003 »

{this post does not exist}
Last edited by TMD2003 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crayon21

Post by Crayon21 »

noted.

While My last entry is ready for the competition. I will not be able to send any more.

I was not able to get scoring to work, I apologize in advance

Basically. Kill godzilla. He will multiply if you aim wrong.

It's the best i could do on such short notice (We leave for vacay starting tomorrow) otherwise i would put more work in.
Attachments
Godzilla.p
(1.88 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
In Heck, there are two options for perpetual torment:

Eat the Puckerberry and suffer for eternity:
drink nothing but a cocktail of The Last Dab and Mexican Cake blended and served with
habanero slices
:twisted:
TMD2003

Post by TMD2003 »

{this post does not exist}
Last edited by TMD2003 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMD2003

Post by TMD2003 »

END OF WEEK 34:

{some of this post does not exist}

...retrospectively, this was a blank week.
Last edited by TMD2003 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMD2003

Post by TMD2003 »

There is some interest in the Z88 here, so I figured this is worth posting here now, rather than waiting for the weekly-round-up, because it's Monday and I wouldn't want to make you all wait for another four days.

Jamie Bradbury saw his own Z88 Boggle from earlier in the year, and he saw that it was good - but not quite good enough. So, in a bout of self-education about learning C to be run through the Z88DK compiler (which is a bit of a running theme this year, I find), there's a new version of Parker Bros.' famous dice-based word game. It's now called Zoggle, and though it's still little more than an electronic version of the grid of 16 dice - it doesn't actually play the game - it does at least look better now, as much as it can on the Z88's tiny screen.

Full instructions on how to get the game working on both OZvm and ZEsarUX are provided. As is this brief demonstration, made by the man himself, of what the game looks like on a real Z88:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1W5QdL43KE
Last edited by TMD2003 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMD2003

Post by TMD2003 »

END OF WEEK 35:

It seems I was slightly wrong about waiting to break another record: this week's sole entry, Zoggle, actually did it. As the second Z88 game to be submitted this year, that means this year's competition has more Z88 entries than ever before - seeing as only 2008 and 2020 ever saw any Z88 entries at all, and only one each at that. And hence, this year's competition has had as many Z88 entries as the entire rest of the competition history all put together. There may even be one more to come...

Meanwhile, my attention is going to have to be refocused for a week or so - although if I get an entry in week 36, I will review it. And I'm hoping I do - there hasn't been a blank week for a while and I'd like that to continue. The extra website pages, though, are going to have to wait until mid-September.

EXTRA POTENTIAL BONUS:

Here's something to look forward to: if this competition reaches 50 entries, I'll throw in an EXTRA BONUS REVIEW of a program I've had hanging around for a while that isn't part of the competition but is still intrinsicallly related to it. Do you want to know what it is? Then put fingers to keyboard and wrote Crap Games. I need ten more at this stage. MUSH!

EDIT: retrospectively I need twelve more. Spoiler alert: the target was still made, eventually.
Last edited by TMD2003 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TMD2003

Post by TMD2003 »

END OF WEEK 36:

What's this? A blank week? Well, that's just brilliant, isn't it? Actually, just this once, I won't grumble because I've got a lot of much-needed work done on the house, and had a day at the coast eating fish and chips, two ice creams, and wandering around on the beach wondering why there are some people out there who would never, ever lower themselves to this level, liberally dropping words beginning with "B" and "G" into their lame excuses. You know the words I mean.

I would like things to change on the No Crap Games front, though. Unless I get 50 submissions, there won't be the Extra Special Bonus! That is a promise... it is also a threat. And I will update Zoggle to its MkIII state in the CSSCGC archive.