Remake of an ancient board game

General games-related topics
stefano

Re: Remake of an ancient board game

Post by stefano »

This is, in my intention, the final version.
I updated the files of my previous post.

I found the game instructions online and fixed a relevant number of serious bugs which were present in the original ZX Spectrum version !
The game is now more difficult (but still playable).
The difficulty level now matches the chosen level, the seismic survey cost is the one described in the instructions (cheap for non-owned land), as well as the building costs (the closer you get to Dallas, the cheaper).
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Thanks for all the hard work Stefano, much appreciated. :D

EDIT.

Noticed a new bug.

I purchased a concession at line E column B which is amongst the trees but should make no difference, and whilst it allowed a production facility to be built every time I tried to lay a pipeline it deducted the cost but laid no pipeline and removed the production facilities at the same time, and no matter how many times I rebuilt the production facility it was removed again every time I tried to lay a pipeline.
stefano

Post by stefano »

wow. there are accidents which might cause a similar condition (loss of both pipeline and refinery) but it should warn you and it's not expected to happen everytime :roll:
I'll check
stefano

Post by stefano »

I checked the code and I couldn't find reasons for the behavior you were describing, but for a very bad position of the unexpected bad events, now improved. I tend to believe that you were trapped in an improbable but still possible chain of bad events.
In my tests I never got a dry hole, though.. so I'm not 100% sure that the randomization is working the way it should.

I also got a mock-up version in standard text mode, for those 32K expansions without the WRX mod.

EDIT:

I successfully ported this same source with minor adjustments to a good number of Z80 targets !
In most of them sound effects are supported as well as colour.
The Sharp MZ and Mattel Aquarius targets were particularly funny to port because I had to pick the appropriate symbols from a fixed character set.
Others (C128, J. ACE...) permit custom character definitions.
Where possible (as for this ZX81 version) I used the low-resolution graphics for the initial splash screen ;)

// ZX Spectrum
// MSXDOS
// Tatung Einstein
// Spectravideo SVI
// ZX81 (32K)
// Jupiter ACE
// Commodore 128
// Sharp MZ
// Mattel Aquarius
// EACA EG2000
// VTECH Laser 350, 500, 700
// Super-80r, Super-80v