Fruit Collector 2023

General games-related topics
JohnsBargs

Fruit Collector 2023

Post by JohnsBargs »

So to cut a long story short I found myself browsing the May 1983 issue of Sinclair Programs and noticed that a couple of the ZX81 games hadn't been covered by The Type Fantastic. I wanted to see City Lander and it was only 1K so I typed it in and got it working, but then I noticed this game hadn't been done either:

fcol.jpg

They bigged it up quite a lot, so I typed it in as well, and then set about debugging it, and then decided it needed some improvements, and discovered that I still had a pretty good command of ZX BASIC after 40 years of disuse, and that was my afternoon suddenly occupied. So here's Fruit Collector 2023 Edition.

Enhancements:

- score now displayed continuously, not just when you die
- you can now jump in both directions, not just right
- screen repositioned more centrally (you can adjust it by changing the value of H in line 23)
- ingame text positioning much nicer
- you can no longer climb into the sky from the top level
- there's now a floor at the bottom
- the fruit doesn't vanish permanently when it gets run over by a barrel

fcol2.jpg

NB It is still not a good game. But it's a lot better than it was.

Attached: zipfile with two versions (one for left and right jump buttons, one for a single button that jumps in your last direction of movement), plus City Lander plus cassette covers for both based on Sinclair Programs' splendid illustrations, plus Minipede from the same issue just because I like it.

fruitcol.jpg
citylander.jpg
fruit2023.zip
(859.1 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Last edited by JohnsBargs on Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JohnsBargs

Re: Fruit Collector 2023

Post by JohnsBargs »

(I really wanted to smarten City Lander up a bit too, but annoyingly the collision detection is based on a complicated PEEK and if you add any new lines of code it screws it up.)